Improve your sight reading with immediate feedback of timing accuracy. Carefully graduated levels from simple to professional allow you to start at your best level and improve at your own pace, more rapidly than on your own instrument. Practice anytime and anywhere. Many advanced features.
- Common and rarer rhythms from 2 to 9 beats per bar (2/2, 3/2, 4/2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 3/8, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, 12/8).
- More than 200 fixed exercises (100 (longer ones) on iPad).
- Thousands of random exercises.
- Levels for absolute beginners as well as professionals.
- More difficult exercises include rests, ties, syncopations, duplets, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets.
- Option to add swing to every quarter note meter exercise.
- Different degrees of swing: light, medium and hard.
- Automatic count-off with one or two bars.
- Longer (random) exercises in landscape orientation.
PRACTICE & TEST MODE
- Practice mode: listen or tap along while the rhythm is played.
- Test mode: you hear the metronome and must read and tap the rhythm.
- Accuracy is instantly displayed visually (color and position) with each tap.
- Easily adjust metronome tempo by sliding or keypad.
- Two tap buttons for higher tempos.
- Any exercise can serve as a starting point for editing.
- The editor provides many options to tailor exercises to your needs.
- Designed to need very few taps.
- Includes an editor for ties.
- Unlimited undo.
- Add your exercises to favorites.
- Share these with others.
- Expert mode: a higher default tempo for the exercises plus more accuracy required in tapping.
- Endurance test (continuous reading).
- Speeding-up tests.
- Left- and right-hand independence: tap the beat and rhythm with two tap buttons.
- Note duration test.
- Count 6/8 in two (dotted quarter has the beat).
- Ear training function to help in rhythmic dictation.
- Frequency chart of tap results.
- Progress reports for fixed and random exercises.
- Mail your results: e.g. send your 100% score graphic or progress reports.
- Sounds of the app player, metronome and taps can be chosen from several percussive instruments.
- Optional stereo sound. Hear your taps in the right ear and the metronome/player in the left ear.
- Optional beat-counting voice function.
- Use of the microphone as an alternative to the tap buttons.
- Play the rhythm with hand claps, finger-snaps or an instrument.
- Sensitivity function.
- Support for external microphones.
- Very low latency (instant response).
- Left-handed tapping support.
- Classical as well as flat interface themes.
- Universal app (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch).
- Support for all screen sizes, including iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max.
- 64-bit compatible.
- iOS 13 tested. Dark mode support.
- Fix for problem with importing exercises.
- iOS & iPadOS 13.1.3 tested.
Ratings and Reviews
I've practiced a lot with this app increased my sight reading ability noticably. I love it. i ask my students to buy it.
Two suggestions: i bet the iphone version could fit two measures on screen in landscape format. I feel the ipad version works significantly better because it shows two measures.
And more importantly, i've spent years training myself to not sweat it when i make a mistake. In the new version there is now a little exclamtion point that pops up at the tiniest mistake. I not only find this very annoying, but i feel it's condusive to a bad musical habit, which is to flip out and want to start over when making a mistake. I very much would like to not see these alerts. And I really dont want my students thinking that they should start over every time they mess up. Please give us the option to turn it off.
I love this app
This is a very useful and fun app for learning to read rhythm notation in music. I also find it very challenging.
There are all kinds of options for making it work for you like being able to create your own patterns or selecting individual bars to repeat and practice. They will also have two measures in sequence that sound the same but are noted differently, with one representing all beats (the way it should be) and the next not representing all beats (the way it often is noted in sheet music).
I almost gave it four stars because I think some of the setup screens are a little confusing. But overall, this is worth much more than it actually costs when you factor in how rapidly your skill level can improve. So I think it deserves five.
I'm very satisfied with this app but it needs one desperate change. But first, this app is exactly how I would approach the subject matter, good job! 5 star quality. Sweet execution of tap button and nice feedback both aural and visual with red and green small dots. Tons of built in exercises and it gets hard with syncopation, and you can hold notes too.
But one glaring problem is the visual metronome beeps when the arm swings at the outside peak. This is opposite from all analog mets that beep at center as well as digital mets with slider LED lights and beep at center. Not only am I programed to respond to the center style, I couldn't adjust to this as the "peak" is in two different spots and too much visual movement required and my judgement wasn't as sharp. This is especially important for this app because such precision is required for perfect scores (that's good). This app needs a stable center beep met. For now I turned off the swing motion in the settings and that's bad.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.