This app organizes the vast and varied library of Rick Steves’ audio content into geographic-specific playlists so that travelers can enjoy ready access to the information that relates specifically to their travel plans. Many tracks provide general cultural and sightseeing information gleaned from his public radio program, Travel with Rick Steves. Other tracks are self-guided tours to great sights and historic walks. While we travel there’s lots of down time, and this application can both entertain and teach. Rick Steves Audio Europe will hopefully make your European travels more meaningful and more fun.
• The app downloads and stores audio files on your device. No Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to listen. (You will need a connection if you choose to add audio tracks later.)
• Handy maps (PDF) that complement the self-guided audio tours can be viewed on your device.
• The audio content originates from Rick Steves guidebooks and the Travel with Rick Steves public radio program. Self-guided tours are excerpted from Rick Steves country and city guidebooks.
• Rick Steves Audio Europe is a work in progress. New audio tracks will be added and existing tracks updated as necessary. Be sure to enable Notifications for this app to get the latest updates.
- Added support for newer devices
- iOS 13 Compatibility
- Various bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Maps not zoomable- bug needs to be fixed
I love the app, and the information Rick provides. We used it in Rome, Pompeii and Herculaneum. Way better than the Vatican museum audio guide we paid for. Rick is giving wonderful details about each place, and it’s very well balanced: not too little, not too much. One issue I had recently with the app (November 2019) was that you cannot zoom in on the maps. The feature worked in April. I hope they fix this soon!
Not as good as audio guide sold at Pompeii entrance
This audio tour is more an appetizer than the real thing money will buy at the entrance of the archeological ruins. To begin you should expect to spend less than 3 hours touring through Pompei and Steve’s only give you 39 min, but since it’s only in English and if you’re visiting with someone not anglophone you’re companion will benefit from a more complete guided solution and also easier to customize according to your specific interests since you’ll punch in the numbers related to each site on the map steve readily it’s impossible to do without. Another benefit not using this guide is you won’t have to put up with American centric jokes which do not add to the experience. When in Roma... and same goes for the recommended list of restaurants in Steve guide, you’re much better off asking locals where the eat than showing off you Steve
guide hoping to shave a few $ from your bill.
I’m an evangelist for this app
I travel a lot for work, and often get a few fun layovers or extended vacations in some fun places in Europe. The first time I visited Paris and this time (now that I have the app!), were totally different experiences. It’s nice to walk by and admire things, but to get to know the history of locations, buildings and famous spots was a game changer. I was able to appreciate the cities I was in more knowing more about the culture and history. He takes you to the most important places and even takes you by historical cafés to enjoy local treats. It really was like having a free tour guide in every city I went to! 10/10 recommend!
- RICK STEVES' EUROPE THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, INC
- 22.3 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Rick Steves' Europe
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.