This app organizes the vast and varied library of Rick Steves’ audio content into geographic-specific playlists so that travelers can enjoy ready access to the information that relates specifically to their travel plans. Many tracks provide general cultural and sightseeing information gleaned from his public radio program, Travel with Rick Steves. Other tracks are self-guided tours to great sights and historic walks. While we travel there’s lots of down time, and this application can both entertain and teach. Rick Steves Audio Europe will hopefully make your European travels more meaningful and more fun.
• The app downloads and stores audio files on your device. No Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to listen. (You will need a connection if you choose to add audio tracks later.)
• Handy maps (PDF) that complement the self-guided audio tours can be viewed on your device.
• The audio content originates from Rick Steves guidebooks and the Travel with Rick Steves public radio program. Self-guided tours are excerpted from Rick Steves country and city guidebooks.
• Rick Steves Audio Europe is a work in progress. New audio tracks will be added and existing tracks updated as necessary. Be sure to enable Notifications for this app to get the latest updates.
Ratings and Reviews
Maps not zoomable- bug needs to be fixed
I love the app, and the information Rick provides. We used it in Rome, Pompeii and Herculaneum. Way better than the Vatican museum audio guide we paid for. Rick is giving wonderful details about each place, and it’s very well balanced: not too little, not too much. One issue I had recently with the app (November 2019) was that you cannot zoom in on the maps. The feature worked in April. I hope they fix this soon!
Love this app
My partner and I took a trip to Italy this past summer, and this guide was such an important part of our vacation. The guide had episodes for all of the major cities we visited, as well as particular ruins and sites within the cities. They never seemed too long, always giving just enough information, and allowed us to skip around however we pleased. The maps were also extremely helpful. My favorite were the walking tours around the city, easy to follow and doable. Some pieces were a tad outdated but otherwise we loved it. This audio guide not only saved us money, but also supplemented our trip perfectly. Highly recommend for anyone heading to Europe!!
Not as good as audio guide sold at Pompeii entrance
This audio tour is more an appetizer than the real thing money will buy at the entrance of the archeological ruins. To begin you should expect to spend less than 3 hours touring through Pompei and Steve’s only give you 39 min, but since it’s only in English and if you’re visiting with someone not anglophone you’re companion will benefit from a more complete guided solution and also easier to customize according to your specific interests since you’ll punch in the numbers related to each site on the map steve readily it’s impossible to do without. Another benefit not using this guide is you won’t have to put up with American centric jokes which do not add to the experience. When in Roma... and same goes for the recommended list of restaurants in Steve guide, you’re much better off asking locals where the eat than showing off you Steve
guide hoping to shave a few $ from your bill.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- RICK STEVES' EUROPE THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, INC
- 26.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Rick Steves' Europe