Place pins on a worldwide map for each location you want to visit, then see your route. Enter trip details for each location and create a complete trip itinerary.
You can DEMO this app with Road Trip Planner LITE also available at the Mac App Store.
Unlike other trip planning apps, this app has NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES.
MAP PINS HOLD WHAT YOU NEED. Each pin shows:
- arrival date & time
- departure date & time
- travel time to this location
- time spent at this location
- name of pin (such as John’s house)
- address of pin
- notes and images
- custom pin color and icon (choose from over 90 designs or import your own)
- URL for related information
- URL for related images
- weather reports from NOAA and other sources
- Flickr photo search
- transport type (driving or walking)
- satellite view
- Internet Search results
- list of activities (lodging, sights to see, etc.)
- choose between multiple routes (if available)
- set the route color between pins
- between pins view driving distance, driving time, fuel cost, travel advisories, turn-by-turn driving directions
- import pins from your Contacts (select as many at once as you like)
EACH PIN CAN HAVE MANY ACTIVITIES. For each activity you can record:
- name of activity
- activity date, time and duration
- email address
- confirmation number
There are two types of pins. Route Pins are used to create the route. POI Pins mark points of interest on the map.
Choose between Apple Maps and OpenStreet Maps.
Choose between driving and walking for each pin. For air and rail routes a straight line can be displayed between pins.
Add, remove or rearrange the pins in any order you wish. Search for places such as restaurants or hotels near each pin. Routes and pins can be sent to Apple Maps.
Each trip can be saved as a separate document. Perfect for anyone who wants to maintain a record of past trips.
PUT YOUR TRIP IN YOUR GPS device. Route pins and routes can be exported as GPX files that can be imported by many Global Positioning System devices.
VIEW YOUR TRIP ON YOUR IPHONE OR IPAD with our Road Trip Planner app for iOS, or use our FREE Road Trip Planner Viewer app. Or use apps that import GPX data, such as our GPX-Viewer app. Multiple sample files are available as well, including an informative Route 66 sample file.
THE ITINERARY HOLDS ALL OF THE DETAILS. Share it and take it with you.
- display the itinerary in a separate window
- save the itinerary to disk or share it easily
- optionally include a map image with pins and routes, activities for each Route Pin, costs for each activity, total fuel cost, total trip cost, information for Points of Interest Pins, and driving instructions
USE THE TO-DO CHECKLIST. Make sure you don’t forget anything.
Import location data from our other map-related apps. For a complete list visit website below.
For more info, screenshots, videos, and support questions click on the Road Trip Planner support button or visit http://roadtripplanner.modesittsoftware.com
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING:
The mapping and routing functionality Road Trip Planner uses is based upon Apple’s maps technology. If Apple Maps cannot find a route between map pins, then neither can Road Trip Planner. Please test the area you wish to travel using Apple’s Maps app to ensure that the area can be routed. If it cannot be routed, please submit the issue to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_mac.html. If Apple Maps cannot perform routing in the area you wish to travel then neither can Road Trip Planner.
- Added windy.com as a weather source.
- Few other minor bug fixes and app enhancements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good, but could be better
I have been looking for a substitute for Google Maps (Google Maps did everything that I wanted but the number of points and routes you could put on one map is very limited). The biggest problem I have with Road Trip Planner is that I can’t get routes in certain areas. I wanted to map out trips I’ve taken in Central America and West Africa. Can’t do it. If there is a way to map these trips in another program and then import them that would solve the problem. It would also be good to be able to free hand routes, then you could fill in routes where the roads aren’t in the data base or where you’re off the grid. Also I would be good to have the option of saving the actual routes rather than just the points, so you can save a map once you have it the way you want it. Thanks
Developer Response ,
Hi, and thanks for the review. The issues with not being able to route in some countries is due to Apple Maps. I suggest you contact Apple and recommend that they allow routes to be plotted in the countries you wish to plan a trip. You can save the routes when you export the data as a GPX file.
I just bought both the Mac and iOS apps assuming I would be able to seamlesly sync between them using iCloud. There's no mention of this NOT being the case on the web site's FAQ page. But instead of syncing, you literally have to MANUALLY transfer a file your self via iCloud every time you make a change. For example, if you just made some changes to your trip on your iOS device, you have to: 1) tap the Action button. 2) tap "Export File to iCloud". 3) Tap "iCloud Drive". 4) Tap the folder where you store your RTP files. 5) Tap the "Add" button. 6) Tap the "Replace" button. Now if you had the file open on your Mac, you get an alert asking if you want to Keep or Delete the file since it's been removed. You have to click "Delete", then go to File > Open Recent > Filename. You have to jump through similar hoops when you make a change on the Mac to see those changes on your iOS device(s). If you search for "Sync" on the web site, you get results about Sharing but not syncing. In this day and age of having an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac, not having seamless iCloud syncing is a major downside.
This Planner TOPS Everything I have tried
I don’t understand the complaints. This worked GREAT!
I have had in prior years mapping applications that cost in the neighborhood of $80 to $100 dollars - such as for mapping trails in addtion to roads.
This application was very, very complete and not too difficult to learn.
I planned a 8 day road trip with this after doing the same thing on Google Maps.
By far-and-away this application is a VAST improvement over any of the online apps.
Features I so liked were:
* I set the arrival and depart times
* Ability to add many activities to a pin and also the costs of those activities
* Ability to add URL links and additional notes to a pin - used that extensively
* Ability to drop a pin - calculate the route - then use that travel time to adjust my depart and arrivials to places I stay overnight in
* Ability to fine tune a route for sight-seeing
* Ability to export in HTML and import to anything I want
* Ability to use on my iPhone
* Ability to ask questions on the forum
So - those that don’t like this - I just do not understand.
Best investment I have made in making a trip plan with tremendous details. Usually I try to create such an itinerary on Google Docs and Google Maps.
This is “icing on the cake”.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. It’s good to hear how you find Road Trip Planner useful.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.