Wind and weather in Iceland are famously harsh and quick to change. Get instant access to the latest reports from numerous automatic weather stations all over the country.
• browse over 270 weather stations all over Iceland*
• complete access to road surface conditions on all major roads*, from the ring road to the highlands!
• see just your favourite stations at a glance
• check the map to see weather reports along your planned route
# OUR PROMISE #
We developed this app because we live in one of the harshest corners of Iceland – in 2016 a storm literally blew the asphalt away from the main road in front of our farm. We use it every day, so we keep the app as usable as we can: a clean interface with all important information at a glance, and no ads or in-app purchases to unlock add-on features. Instead, a single low price will give you access to all future updates, for as long as the app exists.
# IMPORTANT INFORMATION #
This app requires internet access to receive updates of weather stations and road conditions. If you plan to use it on the road, we recommend either purchasing a pre-paid Icelandic SIM card making sure roaming charges are reasonable. The download volume is very small (a few tens of kilobytes per update), but still.
Weather and road information is provided "as is" from automatic stations and may contain measurement or transmission errors or out of date information. This app should be only one of many sources of information when making decisions about travel conditions and safety.
# PRIVACY #
The app only requests background access to your location to detect and notify you if you are in the vicinity of weather stations that are reporting difficult or dangerous driving conditions. All processing is done locally on the device.
(* weather and road surface data provided by the Icelandic Met Office and the Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration under Open Government License )
3.1.1 - iOS 13 compatibility
• fixed a crash in iOS 13 that I didn't catch earlier. Sorry!
• App now looks nicer in Dark Mode.
3.1.0 - Web Cams!
• Station details now include web camera views for all weather stations equipped with cameras!
• List view revamped: removed the wind speed filters for more useful "nearby" and "high winds" options which also automatically take care of sorting.
• cleaned up settings panel
• fixed a case of the network activity indicator not being cleared, and streamlined other networking internals
• fixed a hang caused by malformed station record data
• fixed a rare crash when road network updates arrived in just the wrong moment
3.0.1 - Minor bug fixes
• Fixed a bug that caused crashes under certain conditions when a road network download failed
• Small adjustments to when a station was considered "old data".
• Station details now tell you exactly how old the last update is
• Station details now also changes map type according to settings.
3.0.0 - Big Update!
• More detailed road status information, including road closures, constructions, traffic restrictions, etc.
• Tap on road sections for road status information
• Weather station details now include interactive short-time historical information so you can see how conditions have been developing
• Massive changes behind the scenes - Adopted a new, vastly improved data interface to the Icelandic road administration! Now we always have the most current road network data available. This required building an entirely new server backend.
• While I was already in the guts of the app, I also completely revamped the internals for better performance and battery life
• Completely new rendering system for the road network - now properly displays behind Apple's road labels, and allows for more complex drawing styles.
• UI tweaks to make the map more readable, also when using the satellite image background (new!)
- Hafjall ehf.
- 14.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Icelandic
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Háfjall ehf.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.