Never miss a giant twine ball, statue or quirky museum. App includes 1 of 7 U.S./Canada regions. In-app purchases unlock all remaining for $6.99 more or $1.99/each.
App includes 1 region you choose from 7 oddity-rich U.S./Canada regions. Purchase more ($1.99/region) or all remaining regions ($6.99 more). The roadside attraction gurus at Roadside America have spent decades exploring the weird, amusing wonders on America’s highways. The app puts that expertise at your fingertips for your own adventures. Roadside America's fun stories, unique photos, and tipster reports guide you to less traveled places just off the next exit.
App includes your choice of one permanent U.S./Canada region (see region states list below*). Optional in-app purchases require sign-up for a Roadside America account to unlock more or all regions ("All Access").
- Car & Driver, 2021: "All the Route 66–type classics, from neon signs to 25-foot-tall muffler men."
- Thrillist, 2021: No. 1 of "15 Essential Apps for Your Big Summer Road Trip": "An absolute must for fans of animatronic roadside dinosaurs and kitschy rest stops."
- New York Times, 2020: "For those with a yen for oddities"..."where to find an evil clown sign, not to mention a Jell-O museum."
DISCOVER UNUSUAL AND FUNNY PLACES ALONG THE HIGHWAY
- "World’s Largest" and smallest sights
- Strange museums, graves, statues, Muffler Men
- Bizarre architecture, obscure history
- Route 66 sights, tourist traps, odd theme parks
- Mystery spots, gravity hills, caves, unnatural wonders
SEE WHAT'S UP THE ROAD
- Check map or list for nearby oddities, drop a pin revealing what's ahead.
- Add Start and End city to reveal a string of possibilities along the route.
- Search by attraction name, address, or browse by city.
- Explore 70+ themes: Atomic, Music, Celebrities, Tech, Crime, more!
PLAN A TRIP - OR JUST LAUGH
- Read amusing field reports by the authors of Roadside America, and useful eyewitness tips by travelers.
- View photos, maps and directions, addresses, hours. Call attractions.
- Help investigate "research" attraction targets we think have potential!
- Filter Editors' Ratings to focus on must-sees in your vicinity.
USE ROAD TRIP TOOLS
- Send an attraction location to Maps or other popular routing apps
- Mark Saves and Been Theres to view on a list/map. Or filter-hide to only see the unexplored!
- Export/Import your Saves and Been Theres to a 2nd device
- Submit Tips and your photos on oddball and unique discoveries to our editors for possible inclusion.
FAQ AND CONTACT INFO
For region activation issues, please contact us in the app: More, Feedback or via the website
Extensive FAQs (including how to Restore regions for a new/reset device):
* REGIONS: HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR IN-APP PURCHASE(S)
When first launching app, select your one permanent region (see included states, below). Then, you can make optional in-app purchases to permanently unlock more regions, or All Access unlocks all remaining regions. Sign up for a Roadside America user account for region purchases and region access recovery (Restore) on new/reset or 2nd devices.
- NORTHEAST: Delaware, DC, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
- SOUTHEAST: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- MIDWEST: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin
- SOUTHWEST: Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah
- NORTHWEST: Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming
- CALIFORNIA: California, Alaska, Hawaii
- CANADA: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, PEI, Québec, Saskatchewan, Yukon
- On Route start bug fixed; maximum length increased to 700 mi.
- Save increased to 600 places; Been There: 950
Ratings and Reviews
Most fun app on my phone!
If you love driving around and randomly stopping to see some odd monument to something long forgotten or museum full of things you never dreamed you’d care about, this is the app for you! Remember the great molasses flood of Boston? Ever seen 2 thousand arrowheads in one place? My partner and I are crazy for the hilariously written factoids and have gone on little adventures trying to find some of the destinations on this map. I used to try and find these things on my own, but it’s so much easier and fun with this little tool. I bought their book in the 90’s and I’m so excited that technology has managed to find its way to put that big book in my pocket. If you are on your way to Niagara Falls, why not stop at the Jello Museum? Headed to Harrisburg? Stop in at Mr. Ed’s Elephant museum. It’s obviously great for children, but I don’t have any and it’s my favorite thing to do when I have time off! There’s a small fee to unlock all the USA, but it’s totally worth it if you travel. Last weekend I learned all about Lizzie Borden and saw her spooky grave. I never would have done that if it weren’t for these kooky authors and their fabulous app! Thanks for the weird memories!
Worth it, even if only enjoyed from my armchair
I had a little trouble figuring out how access the app at first and can understand why some frustrated users gave it less than a 5-star rating. THEN I read the FAQs and more of the directions and found the app works just as advertised. Gee, imagine that. I am now traveling the entire country from my armchair, delighted with the many quirky sights, roadside parks, museums & oddities. If I never leave home again the reasonable cost was worth it to me (and I have limited resources). From now on, every future trip will start with a review of potential places and sights to see along the way (or even out of the way). Thanks Roadside America.
I loooove this app
Help find interesting things to do when just entering a town and have time to waste. Also to find historical spots that you would never think to search for. Plus weird and cool things too. My kids always calls this my adventure I take them on. Especially now that they are getting their drivers licenses and needs hours behind the wheel. I look for something and not tell them then once we get to the spot they will say, “really mom?” Or “wow, now this is cool!”. We have tons of fun with this app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- This Exit LLC
- 8.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009-2021 This Exit LLC
- In-App Purchases
- All Access $6.99
- US Access (v1.0-1.3) $5.99
- US - Southeast $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.