Rowmote lets you seamlessly control audio, video, and presentation applications on your Mac from your iOS device.
You love the remote control which came with your Mac - so simple yet elegant, with easy control of Front Row, iTunes, Quicktime, DVD Player, Keynote, and more.
Or, your Mac didn’t come with a remote control or doesn’t even have an infrared port. Buying a remote control, from Apple or a third party, would carry a significant cost!
You carry your iPhone or iPod Touch wherever you go... so why should you carry a second device just to control your computer? Furthermore, why should you need line-of-sight to do so?
Enter Rowmote! Rowmote is like your Mac’s remote control, but over the wireless network and even better! By tapping the Apps button, you get bonus abilities, switching between controlled programs, toggling the iTunes Visualizer, and more. Rowmote will even wake sleeping Macs.
- Control your Mac over a wireless network. No line of sight necessary.
- Functions just like the hardware Apple Remote Control in:
• Adobe Lightroom
• Airfoil Video
• BBC iPlayer
• DVD Player
• eyeTV 3.x
• Front Row
• Hulu Desktop
• Keynote ‘08 & later
• kJams Pro
• Microsoft Powerpoint ‘04 & later
• OpenOffice Impress
• PandoraOne Desktop
• Plex, Plex Home Theater, & Plex Media Player
• The Tube
• xbmc (Xbox Media Center)
- SWITCH: Access your Mac’s Dock, launching & switch between all controllable applications on the Mac, toggle the iTunes visualizer, and more. Order & display customizable.
- Click-and-hold works just like on the physical remote in applications; for example, holding the right button fast-forwards, while a single click is ‘next’. This is a feature no other iPhone remote control I know of does properly!
- Sleep on demand; wake the Mac automatically
- Pause the music or video automatically when you answer a call on your iPhone
- Proximity sensor support to automatically turn the screen off if the device is face-down
- Secure authentication
- Optional dark interface
- Connect via WiFi or Bluetooth (Bluetooth requires Personal Hotspot Bluetooth tethering)
• Mac OS X 10.4.0 or later.
• Mac: The free Rowmote Helper program must be running on the Mac to be controlled. Download at www.rowmote.com. Some features require later versions of Mac OS X.
• Apple TV: 1st and 2nd generation may see www.rowmote.com/atv for potential compatibility.
Rowmote is a steal! Couple it with Apple’s free Remote app to turn your iPhone or iPod Touch into the ultimate controller for home stereo, mobile presentation, or casual video viewing.
The artwork of Rowmote was designed by Rik Schennink.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
• Added support for connecting over Bluetooth and Peer-to-Peer Wifi (Mac OS X 10.10+; requires Rowmote Helper 4.1.5 or later).
• Fixed a rare issue which could lead to an error when reconnecting to a Mac
• Improved support for controlling Kodi and Plex Media Player
Ratings and Reviews
Tentative At Best
I cannot do a review on the pro version because I did not buy it at the app store rather I upgraded within this app. Unfortunately, anyone wanting to buy the pro version probably will not see this review.
I got the regular Rowmote app to work quite quickly, but decided I could use the trackpad and keyboard also. Well, that is a big mistake. In the Pro version, many times if you tap the trackpad, the color wheel appears and stays. You are stuck until you can hard restart your Mac. Also, there is a landscape only mode, but I find it to be hard to manipulate with a keyboard. I would prefer a portrait-only mode but that does not exist. And if you check landscape-only mode, your trackpad will disappear unless your phone is in landscape position. It's a nice feature if you love landscape mode, but for the rest of us it is a hindrance.
This is not a well-thought-out app and while I recommend (basic) Rowmote, I strongly dislike Rowmote Pro.
Requires both devices to be on wifi
I got this app because I needed to control my computer (in a wifi area) from my phone (in an area that doesn't get wifi) so I could watch Netflix in bed. What the description doesn't tell you is that you need a wifi connection on both devices for this to work. Basically I just wasted money because that defeats the purpose, if I had wifi where my phone is, I would just keep my computer by my bed. I was hoping for something that communicated with Bluetooth or IR but that is not the case. Very disappointed in this and if it were more than $1 I would be writing an email and asking for my money back.
Good app, has minor glitches
I upgraded to pro within the app, it has some glitches like i can only control my computer volume only when i open chrome or an app it can control from the dashboard, volume buttons used to work well to control the volume so no need to use app interface, that seems not to work in this update, i used to have an issue where it would loose connection/not find my mac, thats good now... i bought app when came out for a 1$ not the price it is today hence why im ok with the issues and quite satisfied.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Evan Schoenberg, M.D.
- 54.2 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2008-2016 Regular Rate and Rhythm Software
- In-App Purchases
- Rowmote Pro Upgrade $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.