RPG Roller - The name says what it does, and it does what it says. RPG Roller is not a toy. It’s simply the best, most powerful gamer’s tool for rolling polyhedra dice there is. No flashy, unnecessary graphics, no cute sounds, no gimmicks. Just a set of powerful features designed to let you roll dice however you need to roll them.
RPG Roller provides a number of convenient ways to quickly roll dice without any messing around, and a wide arsenal of features:
* Powerful formulas: A feature-packed die rolling formula system, including keeping or re-rolling high/low rolls, dice with any number of sides, the ability to roll different kinds of dice at once, repeating rolls, roll threshold counts, exploding dice, imploding dice, Fudge dice, WoD 10-again rolls, and more. You can even define your own dice with whatever value you want on each side.
* Quick buttons: With just a single button press you can roll 10 six-sided dice to compute damage from a fireball spell, or 5 eight-sided dice to roll hit points for a random monster.
* Hot buttons: Define any number of your own color-coded buttons, using whatever title and formula you want. Save multiple hot button setups in profiles and switch between them at will. Backups of your hot buttons are optionally stored in iCloud and shared across all of your devices. You can even email your hot buttons to your friends!
* Roll History: Look back on previous roll results, with formula and each individual die roll (up to even a thousand dice).
* Formula History: Access previously used formulas, so you don’t have to type them in again.
* Roll Bar: At the top of every page is a bar with a formula box, a roll button, and roll result area. There is a drop-down tray to view full results which hides when you don’t want it.
* Random number generator: RPG Roller offers the best random number generation of any dice app, utilizing system events, accelerometer changes and other unpredictable data sources to stir the cryptographic quality random number pool. A rejection sampling method is used to avoid the pitfalls of modulo math that commonly affect other dice rolling applications.
* Other useful features, such as a formula composer, an animated roll distribution plot, shake-to-roll, VoiceOver support, button zoom for fat fingers, and more.
* Free: Perhaps the best feature of all is that it’s free. This is not adware, and there’s no crippled functionality, requiring you to buy the full version for the features you really care about. RPG Roller is free and fully functional out of the box, with no strings attached.
A mostly maintenance release that includes:
* A new option to scroll quick/hot buttons to button boundaries when zoomed.
* Numerous bug fixes and improvements.
And a note to those of you who are concerned about your fingers being too big for the buttons... use button zoom!
Ratings and Reviews
No other dice app comes close
No silly dice animations here. Instead, this app provides a simple interface for quickly configuring and using almost any imaginable combination of dice. Its dice formulas have endless possibilities. And your formulas are saved as buttons that can be neatly organized in one or more screens. A handy composer screen helps you throw together dice formulas, and the included instructions explain the more complex options. Finally, the Chart screen lets you test out your dice formulas and visualize the probabilities of various outcomes.
This app has not been updated in over four years, because it already did everything it needed to do. And despite the passage of time, no other dice app that I have found comes close to its capabilities. The only problem with the lack of updates is that it technically is not compatible with iOS 11. But all that means is that you get a warning when you run the app. As far as I can tell, it still works fine.
Tabletop Gaming in Real Time
Intense battles or crucial conversations in tabletop games used to move slowly, due to the necessity of rolling complicated dice sets and adding or subtracting modifiers and calculating them out over and over again. But with this app, and the stunning variety of easy-to-customize formulas, the speed of gaming is suddenly accelerated to real-time! Keepers can prepare a row of buttons for common or boss monsters to roll complicated attack combinations in nanoseconds, which keeps the game right where it should be: challenging the players to cope and adapt to a rapidly unfolding situation, not waiting for a keeper to figure out what their opponents are doing.
The only problem with this app is that formula customizations could be used to cheat. Keepers, if you have any suspicion that your players might do such a thing, make sure you read (and understand) the formulas after their rolls. Since each roll displays the formula every time, even accountability is easy!
Very Well Done
I tried the rest and this is the best. This has been well put together and is easy to use. It's quick to the fight by providing the presets and still goes the distance by allowing you to define your own formulae and save them as buttons in their own right. It has a whole host of subsidiary features like histories, charts, in depth help and even a wizard like composer to help you get started putting difficult rolls together.
All-in-all it is an amazing app that does what it says on the tin and then goes beyond. Having written all that it's important to also mention that this app is bug free as near as I can tell, without crashing in several long hours of use. 5 stars and a solid A++ in usage, stability and functionality.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.