RSS Menu is a systemwide menu that allows you to read and organize your favourite RSS, Atom and/or JSON feeds.
The articles are automatically updated and you will get a notification when new articles are available or when some other event occurs. In addition to visual notification, you can also enable speech notification and choose one of the many built in voices.
Key features include:
- easy to use RSS browsing with systemwide menu
- very fast parsing engine
- auto detects if a url has one or more feeds
- importing and exporting of OPML files
- many options to customize the menu
- support for saving articles for offline reading
- support for grouping feeds in submenus and adding separators
- support for favourite icons (aka page icons)
- supports RSS, Atom and JSON feeds
- fixed a crash with some feeds
- you can now add feeds or groups from within the menu
- fixed a bug when saving an article where the Feeds Browser would not update the article's cell
- fixed a bug where the Today collection would only show read articles
- fixed a bug where the Today collection would have the articles sorted in the wrong order
- fixed a bug when adding a separator
- fixed a bug when dragging and dropping a separator
- small update to the Feeds Browser interface
- updated parser engine
- other smaller updates
Ratings and Reviews
not able to increase font size
You can't increase the font size in the drop down menu that shows the rss feed stories. I want tobe able to take a quick glance, to decide what to look at . Well at least it was only a $1.99 lesson.
Not happy with V. 3.0, but 3.1 is good
Edit #2 - The 3.1 update restroed the ability to run in the background, and also to disable the Collection folders, which are totally redundant for my uses. The app is again as useful as before. Might not be perfect, but it is the best I've found for how I want to access my feeds. Kudos to the developer for bringing back the prior behavior so quickly!
Edit - Will revisit this review after the application update promised in the developer's response is released.
Original review - I've been using RSS Menu for years, but do not like the new release, I much prefer the previous background menu. The new app does not work well for how I use my computer.
I'd like to revert to version 2.7.4. I tried restoring the old app from backup, but after doing so, RSS Menu does not appear in the menu bar though it is shown to be running. So apparently the new version does something outside the app and its preference file that breaks the previous version.
Tried to contact the developer, but the email form on his website never sends, and eventually just times out.
Developer Response ,
Glad you liked it. Please feel free to contact us with any feedback so we can work on making RSS Menu even better.
When it’s working, this little application is good. Simple idea, implemented nicely. But it doesn’t handle at least one situation gracefully. When woken up from sleep or in some other situation where it looses its connection to the internet, the lists of “unread articles” goes nuts. As in, articles previously read are marked as unread, seemingly randomly and usually profusely. This makes it impossible to see which articles are genuinely unread from which ones are being falsely reported as unread, so you end up marking them all as unread just to clear the decks.
It’s a relatively minor issue, and sporadic rather than consistent, so while annoying when it happens, it shouldn’t put you off the measley two bucks the application costs. Easily worth it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jesus De Meyer
- 9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2021 e dot studios
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.