This program translates Latin letters in some ancient or fictional alphabets. You can use the default system keyboard or included rune keyboard.
These alphabets are available:
- Elder Futhark Proto-Norse runes (1th–9th centuries AD).
- Theban Witches' alphabet used in modern Wicca (from 16th century).
- Danish younger Futhark runes from viking age (9th-10th centuries AD).
- Swedish-Norwegian Rök runes from viking age (9th-10th centuries AD).
- Anglo-Saxon runes (4th–10th centuries AD).
- Medieval runes (1100-1500 AD).
- Aryan Armanic runes.
- Old Turkic script: also known as Göktürk script, Orkhon script, Orhun Yazıtları (8th-10th centuries AD).
- Gothic alphabet (4th–7th centuries AD).
- Celtic Ogham alphabet (4th–10th centuries AD).
- Klingon pIqaD (fictional from 'Star Trek').
- Etruscan alphabet (8th–1st centuries BC).
- Ugaritic cuneiform (from around 1400 BCE).
- Phoenician alphabet (from 1050 BCE).
- Slavic Glagolitic alphabet (from 863 AD)
Output text is UTF encoded. Please note that not all programs can display the translated text copied from 'Rune Writer', because not all apps have the needed fonts installed. You see then only question marks or empty squares.
Not all Latin characters can be translated directly into ancient alphabets, as appropriate characters are missing (eg all or some vowels in Ugaritic cuneiform and Phoenician alphabet). If you see a not translated characters, then it is no error - the target alphabet is missing the required letter.
Let me know if you needed some other translations or features.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Old Turkic script: also known as Göktürk script, Orkhon script, Orhun Yazıtları (8th-10th centuries AD)
- Rune keyboard
Ratings and Reviews
Theban alphabet not working
When I try to copy and past it came out all messed up, need to fox this
Ancient Multilingual Writing
One of the great benefits of this program is that you can write a message in one alphabet and see how it differs in others. This is useful for education, historical research, and creative arts. Think of the unique cards you can send.
The app is well worth the investment. May this be one of many more great things to come!
This app has helped me learn so much. If it could add in the feature of copy and paste that would be spectacular so that my friends and I can share rune text with each other.
The developer, Paul Burlov, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Paul Burlov
- 6.2 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Paul Burlov
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.