Do you want to learn Japanese from Drama and Anime? Do you spend a lot of time on rewinding the video for each sentence? Do you hate to look up dictionary and prepare flash cards?
SABU is an unqiue App designed from the ground up for you to learn Japanese from Drama subtitles. It dramatically reduces your time to understand a Japanese Drama from hours to minutes. It is the only tool you would ever need for your coming years of journey to learn Japanese.
SABU is not just a video player. It displays dual-subtitle on the same screen. The primary subtitle would display Japanese and the auxiliary subtitle is for your native language. You would get the gist of the Japanese sentence at once.
For the individual words, SABU associate the Japanese subtitle with a built-in dictionary and web search engine. It's just a swipe of finger to get the meaning. No more copy-and-paste to your dictionary application. More than a dictionary, it can even recognise conjugations, Japanese numbers, individual Kanji and Japanese names. With a click of button, you can hear the pronunciation of the word.
To help you to listen, all forward and backward are based on sentences with timing information from the subtitle file. You can easily repeat each sentence with just a click of button.
Every word you learnt can be added to SABU's vocabulary database. There is a flash card system to help you memorise the words. And the cards prepared are associated to the drama itself. So, not only you have the meaning on the flash card, you see where the word comes from the drama. You can listening to the part of drama too. All flash cards will appear according to how well you memorise it. ( SuperMemo Algorithm 2 ) You can also easily export the vocabulary database to CSV so you can import in other flash card applications like Anki.
You can record you speaking for each sentence and compare them to that of the video as you would do with a Linguaphone device.
There is a testing test in SABU where you can actually type the Japanese subtitle.
Keep track of your progress! The more you spent on learning a language, the faster you improve. SABU would keep track of your efforts in daily and monthly basis.
• play sound track of video in background
• slow play ( 0.8X )
• dual language subtitle on the same screen
• AB repeat mode
• sentence repeat mode ( once or loop )
• file repeat mode ( loop )
• forward / backward sentence by sentence
• remote control to play/forward/backward
• editing of subtitle ( adjust and mark timing, sync main and aux subtitle, delete line, copy line from text or mp3 lyric tag, time shift editing )
• swipe to check japanese meaning in english
• search subtitle for words
• search dictionary for words
• seach subtitle files from Internet
• copy-and-paste from selected words in subtitle
• flash-card system with spaced interval repetition
• similar vocab and dictionary lookup during flash card quiz
• listen to the word or the original dialogue in quiz, dictionary lookup for other words in the diagloue
• export vocab to CSV
• typing test
• record and play your own voice
• statistics for daily and month usage
• supported movie ( mp4, mov, mpv, 3gp )
• supported music ( mp3 )
• supported subtitles files ( srt, ssa, lrc )
• Airdrop files from iPhone to iPhone
• Japanese conjugation / inflection recogised
• Kanji Dictionary
• Japanese name Dictionary
• Japanese numbers and counters recognised
• IOS built-in dictionary search
• Wikipedia search
• Web search
There are tons of features in SABU, please visit our web site www.sabujapanese.com to discover all of them.
If you have an enquries or feedback, please feel free to contact us at the following email address.
- fix top white bar on iPhone XR
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app
I love using this app, it was a bit confusing to use when I first got it but after figuring out how to use it I’ve been using it everyday. I just wish that it fit to my gen 2 iPad screen, but other than that Theres nothing else to nitpick at thank you for astounding app looking forward to future updates
Great for learning Japanese!
This is a great learning tool for studying Japanese (especially if you have spent some time studying Japanese grammar first).
Screen for ipad needs to be fixed
Because its so small, its like an app for a phone... the app scren wont be full on ipad. Also, please make the movie screen adjustable, like the line diving the screen and the subtitles.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.