Second Canvas Museo del Prado Masterpieces is your tool for exploring the masterpieces of Western painting like never before.
Discover, navigate, learn, teach and share from your iPad or iPhone, with the option of hooking it up to your TV screen.
Created by the Museo del Prado and Madpixel, Second Canvas Museo del Prado Masterpieces, allows you to explore the 14 masterpieces from the museum’s collection, including Las Meninas by Velázquez, The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch and Self-Portrait by Dürer, in gigapixel resolution. You can also interact with them, choose your favorite detail and share it with your friends on social networks.
Works available in Second Canvas Museo del Prado Masterpieces:
• The Third of May, 1808 in Madrid. Francisco de Goya.
• Jacob’s Dream. José de Ribera.
• Las Meninas or The Family of Philip IV. Diego Velázquez.
• The Nobleman with his Hand on his Chest. El Greco.
• Crucifixion. Juan de Flandes.
• The Annunciation. Fra Angelico.
• The Cardinal. Raphael.
• Equestrian Portrait of Charles V at Mühlberg. Titian.
• Immaculate Conception. Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.
• Descent from the Cross. Roger van der Weyden.
• The Garden of Earthly Delights. Hieronymus Bosch.
• The Three Graces. Peter Paul Rubens.
• Judith at the Banquet of Holofernes. Rembrandt.
You have also available the Prado’s copy of the Mona Lisa, by the workshop of Leonardo da Vinci, as in-app purchase.
• Extra material for each masterpiece, links to additional information, audioguide and sign language guide.
• Super-zoom to discover hidden details.
• X-ray and ultraviolet vision to see the drawing under the painting for featured works.
• Discover amazing stories about each painting, detail by detail.
• Tell your own stories on social networks, selecting the details you want to share in ultra-high resolution.
• Connect your iPad/iPhone to your TV at home (via AirPlay, AppleTV or cable) or projector at school to see the masterpieces in full screen while interacting with your touch device.
• Twitter integration allows you to read the opinions of other users within the app itself, which is why each masterpiece has its own hashtag.
• Share your experience, with images, on social networks and by email..
• Download the details with their stories so they can be accessed even when you’re offline or in airplane mode.
• Over 60 related works in HD that places each painting within its historical context and in relation to other works by the artist and his contemporaries.
• Automatic recognition of our collection artworks through your device's camera, and direct access to its corresponding content in the app
We hope you enjoy Second Canvas Museo del Prado Masterpieces. Tell us about your experience with the app and help us improve by emailing us at: SCPrado@secondcanvas.net
For more information about Second Canvas:
For the first time ever new Bosch masterpieces can be seen in Gigapixel resolution. These paintings are available in the app Second Canvas Museo del Prado Bosch:
• The Adoration of the Magi Triptych.
• The Adoration of the Magi Triptych (closed): The Mass of Saint Gregory
• Table of the Seven Deadly Sins.
• The Haywain Triptych.
• The Haywain Triptych (closed): The Pilgrimage of Life
• The Garden of Earthly Delights Triptych (closed): The Third Day of Creation.
• The Garden of Earthly Delights Triptych (already included in Second Canvas Museo del Prado Masterpieces).
Minor bugs fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
The Prado Deserves Better
The quality of the reproductions is disappointing. If you don't think so, look at the Leonardo (which you have to pay an extra dollar for) and then look at the Rembrandt self portrait.
Needs internet connection
Needs an Internet connection to work. There is no Wi-Fi at the museum, except at the cafeteria. So it seems like the only practical way to use this app is to download the off-line material before visiting. The offline material couldn’t be downloaded while at the museum, so this was a complete waste to me.
Not usable at the museum.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MUSEO NACIONAL DEL PRADO DIFUSION SA
- 26.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 9.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- ©2014 Museo Nacional del Prado, Museo Nacional del Prado Difusión, Madpixel (The Mad Pixel Factory).
- In-App Purchases
- Gioconda Prado gigapixel $0.99