The South Coast AQMD app is the official air quality app for residents of the South Coast Air Quality Management District, which includes major portions of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Air quality experts provide real-time and forecasted air quality information using the highest quality data and scientifically validated methods.
South Coast AQMD is the government agency responsible for monitoring and improving air quality for the 17 million people that reside in the region.
The app features the following functions:
• Air Quality at a Glance - Provides real-time and forecasted air quality data for up to 20 locations within South Coast AQMD’s jurisdiction. Real-time air quality values are determined using a technique developed by South Coast AQMD scientists and published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal that is considerably more accurate than other methods. This method blends measurements from high-quality “regulatory” monitors, quality controlled and calibrated low-cost sensors, and air quality models. Air quality readings account for concentrations of ozone (smog), particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM10), nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide.
• Detailed Air Quality Data - Provides detailed air quality data for each saved city, the current and forecasted Air Quality Index (AQI), the main pollutant of concern for each location and health-related information. Users can also tap the “More Details” button for real-time information on all pollutants, yesterday’s air quality data, daily highs and historical data.
• Interactive Air Quality Map - Provides a real-time view of air quality in the region. Air quality is reported for over 1,200 distinct locations. Simply tap a location for detailed air quality information.
• Configurable Air Quality Health Notifications - Receive optional notifications when air pollution reaches Unhealthy levels in your area. Air quality notification settings can be easily adjusted to fit user preferences.
• Submit Air Quality Complaints – Easily report excessive odors, smoke, dust, or other air contaminants (except smoking vehicles). This new feature is conveniently located directly on 1-800 CUT-SMOG button. You are now able to file and keep track of the status of each complaint directly from the app.
• Alternative Fuel Map – Provides an interactive map with locations, directions and details for natural gas, hydrogen, electric and propane fueling stations from the Department of Energy’s Alternative Fuel Stations database.
• South Coast AQMD Announcements and Events – Stay up to date on air quality alerts, announcements as well as events including Governing Board meetings, conferences, town hall meetings and workshops.
• Integrated Weather - In addition to air quality information, users can check real-time weather conditions for each selected location.
• Integration with F.I.N.D. (Facility INformation Detail) so now you’re always able to see all public information about South Coast AQMD-regulated facilities. This data leverages our interactive map that is regularly updated at least one per week. If location services are turned in the mobile app, you’ll be able to quickly see all facilities near by at the touch of your finger tip.
The South Coast Air Quality Management District (South Coast AQMD) has led the development of a modified version of the Air Quality Index (AQI) that will provide better accessibility for those with color vision deficiencies.
Ratings and Reviews
Great App, Excellent Info
It’s hard to not be impressed with this app, how easy it is to use, and how useful the information is. Really great job on building this app and maximizing the “use-ability” of the air quality information it gives us. If you live in the area that this app covers, get this and use only this for your air quality readings. And if you’re a city official somewhere outside this region (looking at you San Diego!), get in touch with these app makers to have them make this for your jurisdiction. Thank you so much!
I strongly recommend
With all the fires affecting the air quality in California, I’ve been able to use this app to get information on what is happening in the City of Orange. I’ve been looking for a resource to find daily AQI. I googled my city and could not find a way to get to what I thought should be easy information to obtain. I easily found this information along with other interesting bits. Thank you to the creators of this app!
WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?
I live in Los Angeles where the air-quality can be iffy at best. But since were close to the ocean it’s hard to tell sometimes whether I’m looking at smog, haze, or fog. This app has been incredibly useful in giving me real time information about the quality of the air where I am right now. I think in the future people are going to make a lot of their day-to-day decisions, travel plans, and location decisions based on this app. 1 million thanks.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- South Coast Air Quality Management District
- 171.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 South Coast Air Quality Management District