School of Multi-Step Directions 4+
Virtual Speech Center Inc.
Designed for iPad
*** Winner of 20th Annual BESSIE Awards (Best Educational Software Awards)
****As a speech language pathologist, I loved this app from Virtual Speech Center. As far as apps for following directions go, this is by far the best one I have seen. (Smart Apps For Kids)****
School of Multi Step Directions provides students with an innovative way of following increasingly longer multi step directions in the academic context.
School of Multi Step directions was created by a certified speech and language pathologists for students ages five-12 to improve auditory comprehension and listening skills.
School of Multi Step Directions app is built around the theme of school and allows children to follow increasingly longer and more complex multi–step unrelated directions in three different “classroom” settings such as English, Math and Chemistry Lab. The children are welcomed by the professor, who encourages them to work hard as they will be rewarded with “recess,” during which they can play a game of pong.
School of Multi Step Directions app includes over 1000 recorded directions. The directions included in this app are:
- English classroom: 2-step, 3-step and 4-step of unrelated directions with multiple levels of difficulty. Stimuli include: pictures, letters, and written words with color, size, and temporal concepts. For example, “Underline the red letter A and erase the blue letter C.”
- Math classroom: 2-step, 3-step and 4-step of unrelated directions with multiple levels of difficulty. Stimuli include: shapes, number, concepts, size, color, odd, even, bigger than, and smaller than. For example, “If 10 is bigger than 9, highlight 4 and underline 6, if not, cross out 2 and touch 1.”
- Chemistry Lab: 2-step, 3-step and 4-step unrelated directions with multiple levels of difficulty. Children will have fun “making experiments.” For example, “Set the temperature to cold, shake the flask, and add water to the cup.”
- Figure-Ground - The above activities can be practiced in the presence of competing noise, making it an ideal app for children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder.
School of Multi Step features:
• Over Thousand of pre-recorded audio exercises
• Beautiful graphics and pictures
• Reward game
• Detailed reporting
• Scoring and data tracking
• Group sessions (unlimited number of students)
• Ability to include different types of background noise during session
• Ability to control intensity of background noise
• Ability to randomize directions
• Ability to change correct and incorrect sounds
• Ability to turn on auto-scoring
• Ability to turn off audio directions so speech therapists can give their own instructions
• Replay of directions
• Email results
• Change settings
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- Released compatibility support for iOS 9
Ratings and Reviews
Great for SLPs
As a speech therapist, I have found this app to be useful in targeting auditory processing skills, memory, comprehension of concepts, and following directions. The game is also very rewarding and keeps the kids engaged. I highly recommend it.
My 9yr old girl and 8 yr old autistic son have struggled with multi step direction for SO long.
Finally an app that helps kids that struggle with this developmental mile stone. Both kids love this "game" and the mini pong game is a nice bonus.
I also like that I can email progress reports to their speech therapists.
Eliminate some pictures
I really like this app, however, could you exchange the pictures of the knife, saw, sledge hammer, and nail to something more kid friendly or school related? I hare seeing the huge knife as a distractor object. Otherwise, Keep making SLP related apps for kids.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Virtual Speech Center Inc.
- 139.5 MB
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Virtual Speech Center Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.