* Post sticky notes with pictures, text memos, time-events on a multi-page virtual bulletin board *
Almost every household has a refrigerator where family members post their drawings, pictures and sticky notes with phone numbers. Is it too much to ask for an application that just does that on a desktop computer?
Scrapboard is a desktop application whose window looks just like a bulletin board. It's a virtual bulletin board where you can post pictures, text notes, schedule notes with events and dates. You can freely grab and then move a post anywhere around this resizable personal information board. How do you create a picture post? All you have to do is drag and drop a picture right onto the scrap board. Can you handle that? Create a post by specifying the date of an event. Let Scrapboard monitor your events so that you will be reminded of events that are soon to arrive. Create a backup data file easily and share your data across different computers.
- Features -
1. Make sticky posts over a multi-page scrap board. Move a post freely with your mouse around the board.
2. Drag and drop a picture right onto the scrap board to create a picture post.
3. Drag and drop a selection of rich text onto a text box to create a text post.
4. Create a schedule post with an event taking place on a specific date.
5. Be reminded of events to take place soon.
6. Double-click to move a post to a different page.
7. Create a backup data file. Recover data from a backup data file. Share data computers computers, using a backup data file.
8. Choose one of six pin colors to make one post a little different from others.
9. Simply, press Command + right arrow or left arrow to turn pages. Or press Command + up arrow to jump back to the top page.
10.Hide navigation buttons. Hide the board size label.
11.Choose one of seven board background patterns. (v. 1.2.0.)
12.Choose one of five frames (v. 1.2.0).
13.English is the default language for calendar months. Other supported languages are Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Russian. The user has an option of showing the day of the month followed by the calendar month or the other way around.
14.The application supports the fullscreen mode (with v. 1.2.2).
15.The application supports the retina screen. (tested with 2014 2.6 GHz 13" MacBook Pro)
16.Languages: English and Japanese only.
17.Application file size: 705.8 MB (Version 1.2.2).
18.The application comes with a complete user's guide written in English. (Choose Help > User's Guide.)
19.The application comes with a 10-page introduction window, giving the user a quick tour over how it works.
- System requirements -
1. 10.8 (untested), 10.9 (tested with 10.9.5), 10.10 (tested with 10.10.2)
2. 64-bit system
- Limitations -
1. The application window does not support the fullscreen mode.
2. The minimum window size is 640 x 480 points.
3. This application does not allow the user to create styled text by select a font, text color & size. If necessary, use a text editor including TextEdit to write up rich text. Then drag and drop a selection of styled text onto Scrapboard's text box.
1. Fix: When the user dragged and dropped a picture onto the board for the second time, the percentage label pointed to the previous value while the slider value was set back to 100%.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic for Fiction writers needing to set up a calendar for characters, etc.
This is a great app for fiction writers. I have posted a video on youtube about how to use it for a novel’s character calendar.
I have given it four stars here instead of five because there could be some improvements. Primarly I’d like to see a duplication function. And that should be for multiple items at once. In my case I want to set up a calendar with days of the week, each day a different color but I’d like to copy my entire weekly headings and post to another page. So I don’t have to do them over. There are nough different colors provided for a week, but more would be appreciated. Also being able to edit text posts once they are posted would be nice. Though editing texts is not necessarily as important as beomg able to duplicate items. I find keeping one Word file open while I edit text before pasting into posts is not that inconvenient.
For 9.99 I was reluctant. It’s no Spiderisland BBS by Rusty Tucker. But only as a fraction of the cost I might add.
I went through the list of functions, no crashing under El Capitan lastest OS. The author does list some limitations up front and at the same time, no surprises with the other functions. I know what type of coding goes into a GUI like this and for 9.99 it’s a steal. The drag and drop feature and file sharing works seamlessly. The only thing I would like to see is customized fonts in the future, but at the same time, no big deal if we don’t.
Right now I guess this is as close to a GUI BBS that we’ll see for right now. A GUI BBS would certainly be nice, but I think as long as there is Mac Server there’s not much hope in that. Though I know one person there at Apple who could give us just that.
Thank you for your hard work on this sfotware and it will be used often.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.