Scrivener 3 4+
The go-to app for writers
Literature & Latte
Typewriter. Corkboard. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
GROW YOUR MANUSCRIPT YOUR WAY
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener lets you break up your writing into sections as small or large as you like. At its heart is a simple ring-binder metaphor—gather material and switch between writing, notes and research with ease. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Compose your text in any order you want—write when inspiration strikes and find its place later.
SEE THE FOREST *OR* THE TREES
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: hammer out every last detail before typing a word, or carve out a draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are integrated with an easy-to-use project outline, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
RESEARCH WITHIN REACH
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand, and you can open it right alongside what you’re working on. Write a description based on a photograph. Transcribe an interview. Or check for consistency against an earlier chapter.
GETTING IT OUT THERE
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, turn your manuscript into a beautiful ebook or PDF, export to Word, or simply print it out. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
Scrivener’s users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won’t tell you how to write—it just provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing.
• Project templates for novels, scripts, essays and more
• Import many different types of file
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Familiar writing and formatting tools
• Easily switch between working on small sections, chapters and the whole manuscript
• Styles support
• Distraction-free full-screen mode
• Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
• Live word count
• Mark up text with comments
• Footnote support
• Keep “snapshots” of older versions of your writing
• Name generator
• MathType support
• Set writing targets
• Track your writing history
• Automatic backups
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Assign a synopsis to any section, then work with an overview of your manuscript in the outliner
• Plot your ideas using the corkboard
• Track different threads using labels
• Fast project-wide search
• Apply custom icons to your sections
• Use document templates for new sections (e.g. character sheets in novels)
Refer to Research
• Import research—images, web pages, PDF files and more
• View research files or other sections alongside your writing
• Transcribe audio files
Get it Out There
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Export to Word
• Print or create PDF files
• Create Epub and Kindle files
• Export to Final Draft
• Supports MultiMarkdown and LaTeX export
• Convert rich text to Markdown
• Sync with our iOS version (available separately)
Introduction and Tutorial Videos:
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors—see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/testimonials to read what they have to say.
Scrivener 3.3 improves overall stability and contains nearly a hundred bug fixes and refinements, including:
• Compile now supports generating PDF files in the PDF/X-1a format (required by certain self-publishing services).
• Miscellaneous improvements to exporting ebook, DOCX and Markdown files.
• Comment chains in DOCX and RTF files are now imported into a single comment (previously only the first comment in a chain was imported).
• Fixed bug whereby the snapshot comparison feature failed to work on macOS Ventura.
• Composition mode now leaves space at the top of the screen for the “notch” on modern MacBooks.
• Improved conversion of colours when converting between inline and inspector comments using the Transformations menu.
Plus many, many other minor refinements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I've been using Scrivener for several years for class papers, research papers, diaries, and creative writing. I upgraded from Scrivener 2 to 3 after installing Mojave. So far I've noticed the UI is much refined, the program is more responsive (no rainbow wheeling), and compilation and file conversion (especially .doc/.docx) much improved. The program's versatility is what I find really incredible—it's great for the smallest to largest projects. For a small project like a single poem or short story, use 'composition mode', which is basically a distraction-free mode like you get with IA or Ulysses. If you want, keep all your short pieces stored in a single library. I've archived all my diaries this way. If you're writing a class paper, you can write in split-pane with your outline right next to your prose. And if you're writing a research paper, import any number of PDF's, images, etc. and quickly switch between them and your prose or, again, use split-pane. Footnotes and comments are intuitive and export seamlessly to other formats. Separate your writing into different documents for each section or chapter if you like, then export them all together into one document, with custom formatting options. I can't even touch all the features in a review, nor do I use them all. The features are there if I ever do need them, but they don't get in the way when I don't.
I’ve been using Scrivener now for a long time. Started using it on my iPhone/iPad, and then I bought a Mac (finally) and purchased V3. I’ve been using this now on my Mac for over a year and I have zero issues with any of my many projects syncing between devices. They give instructions on their website how best to set up the save option so nothing can become corrupt. I currently have fifteen projects in varying stages and zero issues with any of them. Keith is very responsive as well. I’ve written to him about a glitch, he responded very quickly, and in the next version release, it was corrected. This is an invaluable tool for me and I’ve used SO many other writing programs that I can say, for me, this is hands down THE best product I have ever used. Dropbox sync works great. Syncing between my phone and pad work great. I know they are working on dark mode, it is in BETA release right now and will be implemented in 3.1 (it’s on their website). Honestly, I don’t know what woud have become of my writing had I not found this product when I did. Can’t wait to see what future releases have in store!
Organization and Productivity
I love this app, and I use it daily for my different projects and series that I work on. I mean the potential with this thing is limitless really. You can crete endless scens under one possible chapter, and put little synopsis on the side if you want to come back to it later just so you dont lose the idea you had for that particular spot. You can create whole studys for your characters under each project so you can really keep track of your individuals and the things that make each one seperate. I suppose what it boils down to is that I have a tool for every idea and have a space to put it at that will not get lost. I have a way to organize said ideas so that I can lay them out in what order i want everything to flow, they can be easily manipulated and moved around if this changes later down the line. And its conducive to my creative flow to have everything so readily laid out before me in this way. So like I said I love this app and all its endless and amny features.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Literature & Latte Ltd
- 148 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.