Literature & Latte
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.” —Michael Marshall Smith, bestselling author
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media files
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at email@example.com, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
• App icon tweaked to match macOS app.
• Dropbox syncing speed improved.
• Scrivener now supports fonts installed on iOS from font provider apps such as Adobe Creative Cloud and Font Diner. (The font chooser UI has been updated to use Apple’s standard font picker to allow for this.)
• Search bars have been updated to use the most recent iOS UI conventions.
• PDF research files are now shown using Apple’s dedicated PDF view rather than a web view, improving the viewing experience.
• Updated outline keyboard shortcuts so that left/right arrow keys now expand folders and groups rather than drill down into them. To drill down, now use Cmd-right or hit return; to go back, hit Cmd-return.
• Improved styles so that typographic settings such as small caps, medium, semibold and other features added to styles created on macOS or Windows now work in the iOS version.
• Fixed crashes on trying to access project screen help and the Bookmarks and Recents list in some circumstances.
• Fixed bug whereby typed text would disappear beneath the visible area on some iPhones.
• Fixed bug whereby drafts navigator was blank.
• Fixed bugs with some controls appearing light in dark mode.
• Fixed issue with scriptwriting mode in non-English languages.
• Fixed several keyboard positioning issues.
• Fixed issue whereby exporting PDF files using hyphenation could result in truncated files.
• Dozens of other minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Note: Scrivener now requires iOS 11 and above.
Ratings and Reviews
I was exuberant to see Scrivener materialize with an ipad version. I have head a lot about it. I am a relatively new scrivener, just learning it, and involved in a lengthy writing project. I write mostly on iPads because I am rarely home and they are easier than laptops to lug around. I have the new ipad, 10.5, 256gb, and was looking forward to using scrivener on it.
Unfortunately, the Dropbox syncing is maddening. Today, for instance, it refused to sync and kept shutting down. After the first time, I got it back and backed up everything I was working on, and I was lucky I had the foresight to do that for Scrivener kept crashing. When I returned to the desktop, it wanted to sync with the ipad. This it did, but with the older version of the chapter that I was editing and I thanked the gods for that back-up I had stored elsewhere. I ended up deleting the chapter and starting over with the back-up I had emailed to myself.
I do not know what to say here. Not sure if the recent update will solve the infuriating Dropbox problems. I will give it another try and see what comes of that. If it continues, I will just have to use scrivener on the desktop, writing on another program with the ipad and copying it over to scrivener later on. Ultimately, I think Scrivener has to be taken out of Dropbox and put onto the cloud.
Finally - everything in one app
I love to write. Like a weirdo, I write the most on my phone. I struggled for years with a novel text editor, and all my research notes in another app. It was disorganized and I lost many important notes I needed due to the lack of ability to organize. No more. Now I keep everything in nice sub folders in my “binder” and I can still save photos, notes, lists, and more! Everything is color coded and iconized for quick reference. Really, functionality wise, they have thought of everything. I even reached out to their CS once to request a feature. Low and behold it already existed! I just hadn’t found the setting. And let me tell you, they have a LOT of settings.
My one wish would be for a web portal I could access from a computer. Every once in a while I’m sitting at a computer with enough time to work on my writing. So it’d be nice to just pop onto the website and pull up my work. It’s not an option right now, though they do have computer software you can also purchase. That’s not an option for me because I can’t install software onto my work computer, but I could access via a web portal. Not a deal breaker, but a big wish of mine.
If you’ve been struggling to find somewhere to write and keep all your notes together, you really can’t go wrong with this app. I know the upfront cost seems like a lot, but compared to any subscription based platform it’s only pennies in comparison.
Very easy to use, solution to DropBox sync problems
Scrivener is very easy to work with on my iPad. I took it on a trip and worked on a number of new projects created on my iPad. However, on return, I tried to set up the Dropbox sync and it didn't work. Thanks to Jeff at Literature and Latte for working through this with me over several detailed replies. The options are to backup my iPad to iTunes on my iMac and work with files from there or, easier, to sync with Dropbox and work from there. Projects cannot exist in both places. However, when I first (and many subsequent attempts, reinstalls, etc) tried to sync my existing iPad Projects to Dropbox, a folder was created, but it was empty. The Projects and the empty folder showed in my iTunes file browser. So, I understood what was happening, but couldn't fix it. Today I decided to add a new "Test" Project on my iPad with one file in it. Then I synced with Dropbox. For the first time, a Dropbox list appeared in my iPad's Projects list and the Apps/Scivener folder in Dropbox showed my "Test" Project. From there, Jeff told me to tap edit on my iPad and drag the projects from "On My iPad" to "Dropbox". Did that, synced, all is well. Also synced with iTunes and now the file browser shows the folder and it's no longer zero kb. Hope this helps someone with the same issue.
Developer Response ,
Edited response: Many thanks for updating your review now that you have everything sorted! I'm glad Jeff was able to help you find the problem. Please let us know if you run into any other issues. I hope Scrivener works well for you from now on!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Literature & Latte Ltd
- 30.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.