See and Learn Saying Words 1 offers activities to encourage the imitation and repetition of one- and two-syllable words. It aims to help children with Down syndrome learn to say whole words clearly.
See and Learn Saying Words 1 includes eight sets of words. The words in each set start with the same speech sound. The initial sounds selected for See and Learn Saying Words 1 are sounds that children usually learn to use early in typical development (b, d, m, p, y, n, w and h). The 72 target words represent a range of vowel-consonant combinations and are selected from vocabulary suitable for younger children.
See and Learn Saying Words 1 is designed and supported by internationally recognized experts to meet the specific learning needs of children with Down syndrome and is consistent with current scientific understanding of the children's needs and effective interventions. It is part of See and Learn Speech - an evidence-based teaching program designed to help children with Down syndrome to learn to talk more clearly.
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Saying Words when they:
• can produce at least some of the consonants b, d, m, p, y, n, w or h - for example, m, and b.
• can produce simple combinations of these consonants and a vowel - for example, moo and baa.
We recommend that young children practice these activities as soon as they meet these criteria. However, the activities are also suitable for older children who need additional practice to improve their speech clarity.
(Note: See and Learn Saying Words 1 was previously called See and Learn Saying Words)
• Learning to Say Words – using picture prompt cards and speechreading cues to encourage first attempts at saying words
• Practicing Saying Words – using sets of picture prompt cards in games to encourage more complete word production
• Rehearsing Saying Words – multiple repetitions of specific words to improve the clarity and consistency of word production
• Evidence-based activities following key developmental steps
• Clear and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on information presented and learning goals
• Focus on visual representation of concepts, reduced language and working memory demands to help children with specific learning needs
• Comprehensive guide included in electronic format providing explicit, step-by-step guidance and instructions
• Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
• US English
• UK English
- iOS 12.2 support
- iPad Pro 3rd Generation support
- Explicit opt-in request for analytics and crash reporting
- Bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Not worth the price
Too little activities for the price. Also nothing special that can't be achieved with basic flash cards.
- Down Syndrome Education Enterprises C.I.C.
- 70.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Down Syndrome Education Enterprises CIC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.