Senode is now on Summer Sale until August 14.
SENODE is an innovative music app based on the idea of finite state machines. It works like a polyphonic modular step sequencer with probabilistic steps. This app is perfect for generative music and complex sequencing setups. Senode syncronizes its clock to Ableton Link or integrates as AUv3 plugin. All actions are MIDI bindable, so the steps can be triggered in real time from drum pads, sensors or other apps – a real live-performance instrument!
"Senode is something quite different when it comes to sequencing" - Create Digital Music
"If you search a new unique sequencer for iOS than check out Senode." - Synth Anatomy
"A Killer App!" - A4iRebirth
CREATE COMPLEX SEQUENCES WITH RANDOMIZATION
The core of Senode is a graph of nodes connected by edges. You decide if Senode acts like a simple vending machine or a complex pinball game. Each node triggers a sound when activated, while edges determine the direction of travel. Instruments are controlled by emitters which send their tokens onto the graph and generate MIDI signals. That means, you can compose a generative music piece for a whole orchestra using the graph notation and a couple of emitters! It gets more interesting if you add random directions or emit multiple tokens at different time positions.
GRAPHICAL MULTI-TOUCH INTERFACE
Compose and perform your music live using the intuitive multi-touch interface. Create, drag and connect nodes with multiple fingers. The on-screen keyboard helps you to visualize and edit notes easily.
The standalone app contains a simple but powerful subtractive synthesizer with main OSC (sine, saw, square, noise), sub OSC (sine), 1-pole lowpass filter, stereo reverb and ADSR envelope. Try the demo patches to get inspired!
MIDI CONTROL AND STEP RECORDING
Use the step record function to create new nodes on the fly, from single notes or using the chord detection. Use a drum kit, wearable sensors or any other MIDI device to control the steps of Senode. Enjoy the unique experience of being your own clock!
CONTROL MUSIC APPS AND EXTERNAL DEVICES
Senode is the perfect sequencer for all MIDI-capable apps. Play in sync with other apps using Ableton Link. Integrate with your favourite DAW using the AUv3 plugin (in-app purchase required). If you connect a MIDI interface, you can even control your hardware synths with the app.
Senode is made for live music performance. There are no default "beats" or "bars" and all actions are performed in real time. Tokens can be quantized to a clock (16th resolution) and support catch-up, which means you can hit all functions like a drummer "on the spot" and stay in sync, even if you're too early or a little late. By the way, the really cool stuff will happen if you break free from 4/4 bar schemes, start your sequences on off-beat timings or create crazy polyrhythmic cycles...
- innovative non-linear graphical sequencer with draggable multi-touch interface
- standalone app and AUv3 MIDI plugin (in-app purchase required)
- unlimited notes or chords per step with velocity, legato or fixed-length notes
- unlimited number of steps and directions: cycles, randomized, one-shot
- multi-timbral patches with polyphonic emitters
- integrated polysynth with sine, square, saw and noise OSC, ADSR, filter, reverb
- real-time sequencer control with clock sync and catch-up quantization
- MIDI device input and output
- velocity-sensitive binding support for all sequencer operations like step, emit, tick, trigger or clear
- tempo and start/stop synchronization using Ableton Link
- step recording with chord detection
- copy and paste functionality
- transpose and clock divide functions
- comes with tutorial and example patches that you can instantly play
See senode.org for more details.
- added new binding actions TOGGLE and PURGE
- added monophonic Emitter mode
- added MIDI overload detection to prevent feedback loops
- fixed chord recording from MIDI input
- fixed patch saving and copy/paste issues
Ratings and Reviews
Too simple to use to be this powerful. Bravo! Wish list in order: 1. Node edges to multiple nodes needs an “and/parallel/always” in addition to the random “or”. This would enable true polyphony for linear sets of manually triggered nodes. E.g branch a series of nodes to sustain a note or chord through multiple ticks while the other branch triggers on every tick. 2. Ability to clone emitters and nodes or set default properties for each. This would be a great convenience. 3. Trigger emitters directly from nodes. With both “and” and “or” options could accomplish #1 above and more.
This is a gem, highly versatile, well-designed, much deeper than you might think at first. Some small room for growth of features, but really very robust as is. Nothing quite like it on iPad ("Nodal" on computer is very similar).
Bought this recently…
… and while I’ve just used the presets, I can’t get it to send midi to anything either in an apps stand alone mode or in a host like AUM.
I can see it in AUM - even though it doesn’t load it. And I can see the midi receiving app in Senode in controls (and direct it to the synth), but no midi is sent.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your report! For getting MIDI out to work, please make sure that the MIDI out device is activated in the settings screen and the emitter is assigned to a MIDI channel. In addition, I've just released an AUv3 version that should be even easier to handle in AUM.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sebastian Arnold
- 11.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2022 Sebastian Arnold
- In-App Purchases
- AUv3 plugin $3.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.