Read classic books in daily bite-sized bits!
Serial Reader helps you fit classic literature into your busy life. Choose from more than 800 classic books and receive a new issue from the book every day.
Each issue can be read in 20 minutes or less. Read the best classic books in your spare time!
"For those who are intimidated by thick, leather-bound tomes, Serial Reader is a good way to break it all down." - The Washington Post
• Read hundreds of popular classic books for free
• Customize with a variety of themes and fonts
• Automatically serialize your own EPUB books (beta)
• Sync your reading progress to Goodreads
• Easily lookup words in the dictionary & Wikipedia
• Earn fun badges and track your reading streaks
Plus, with an optional one-time in-app purchase:
• Read tomorrow's issue - or the entire book - whenever you want
• Sync your reading across multiple devices
• Save quotes & notes while reading
• Save books to read later
• Pause delivery of new issues
• Pick specific delivery days and hours for new issues
• Lots of other goodies!
"Serial Reader’s subscription format makes it a little bit more fun to crank through the classics" - Lifehacker
"A useful tool that makes it easy in our modern world to make classic books part of your reading diet" - MacStories
Picked as one of Apple's Best New Apps and Best New Updates in 2016, 2018, and 2019.
More than 800 books are currently available and new titles are added each week. You can read each and every book for free in daily issues with Serial Reader!
Here's a sampling of some of the most popular books you can read:
— Most Popular —
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
• Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
• War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
• The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
• The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
— American Lit —
• Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
• My Antonia - Willa Cather
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
— Adventure —
• The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
• Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
• Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
• The Odyssey - Homer
• King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
— Romance —
• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
• Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
• Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
— Science Fiction —
• The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
• A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
— Horror —
• Dracula - Bram Stoker
• The Dunwich Horror - H.P. Lovecraft
• Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
• The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe
• The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
• The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood
— Mystery —
• The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
• The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
— Biography —
• The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
• Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
• Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
— Children's —
• Peter Pan - J. M. Barrie
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
• The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
• Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
— Fantasy —
• The Well at the World's End - William Morris
• Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
• The Wood Beyond the World - William Morris
— Philosophy —
• The Republic - Plato
• Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
• Rights of Man - Thomas Paine
— Nonfiction —
• Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
• On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
• The Federalist Papers
• The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
— Westerns —
• Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey
• The Virginian - Owen Wister
• Gunman's Reckoning - Max Brand
— Religion —
• King James Bible
• The Dhammapada
• The Quran
Read all of these classic books and hundreds more for free in Serial Reader!
• Lots of minor design improvements
• New reading option to advance pages when tapping either margin
• While reading, font options menu includes link to additional reading settings
• Bug in "Unread" issue list implying book was completed
• Bug displaying note and Wikipedia information when reading in scroll mode
• Bug when toggling between multi-column reading mode and scroll mode
Ratings and Reviews
Great motivation to read and great for students
Having a reading goal for every day is great motivation to read. I even bought to premium version so I could read ahead. The 7 to 18 minute goal for reading each book your subscribed to is really reasonable and easy to fit into everyday life.
The book selection is also really good. There is also alot of books typically read in high school. So if your a student who has to read a book and struggle with keeping up with the reading I recommend this app. Pride and Prejudice takes 40 days to read, Romeo and Juliet takes 15 days to read, and the Scarlet Letter also takes 40 days. Want to impress your teacher on a book report? You can find obscure classic books like Camilla, the LGBT vampire book that predates Dracula which you can finish in 12 days.
Reading is no longer intimidating when it’s broken down into little serials that you read every day. I tried reading Pride and Prejudice a few years ago and I found remembering all the different names confusing and I stoped. Though with having a designated amount to read each day made me slow down while reading and comprehend the book better. So for all the reasons above I recommend the app.
What a great app!
I’ve only been using Serial Reader for a few days, but I’m hooked! The interface is clean and intuitive, as well as being easy to navigate. The accomplishment badges and words of encouragement are a tad bit cheesy, but they can be toggled off if you like.
Overall though, this is a great way to read a book. I started with “The Count of Monte Cristo”, a classic that I’ve been wanting to read for quite some time now, but just haven’t found time to fit into my reading schedule. The notifications come each morning, (you can set them to your own personal preference), to remind me that the next installment of my novel is available. It’s typically a 10-15 minute portion that I can read with my morning coffee.
The number of titles is somewhat limited to what, I assume, is in the public domain. But that still amounts to hundreds of the great classics! These books are available through other apps, but I really love the idea of serving it up in daily bite-size portions that don’t take up too much of my day but always leave me wanting more. Kudos to the developer for a great idea.
I would certainly recommend this app!
This is the best app I have downloaded on my phone, full stop. I love to read but for the past couple months I’ve had trouble carving out time to sit down and read, because once I get into a book, I can get lost in it and forget everything else I need to do that day.
This is the perfect app for me because it allows me to read an issue that takes ~10-20 mins, which ensures that I have a solid amount of reading, but I never lose track of time. I also purchased the premium version (2.99 USD, can’t recommend it enough) so I’ll sometimes read ahead with another issue in the evening.
Another thing is, the library is pretty extensive, so you’ll never run out of fantastic books to read.
All in all, this app is incredible, and if you’re an introvert bibliophile like me, this is one you’re definitely gonna want to get.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Michael Schmitt
- 30.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2021
- In-App Purchases
- Serial Premium $2.99
- Tip Jar - Essay $0.99
- Tip Jar - Novel $4.99
- Tip Jar - Short Story $1.99
- Tip Jar - Epic $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.