Send messages, not metadata. No ads or trackers — only private messaging.
Session is a new breed of private messenger, built on a unique network of user-operated servers spread all over the world. With no central servers, Session can’t leak or sell your data. And with Session’s private routing protocols, your messages are completely anonymous. No one ever knows who you’re talking to, what you’re saying, or even your IP address.
• Fully anonymous account creation: No phone number or email needed to create a Session ID
• Decentralised server network: No data breaches, no central point of failure
• No metadata logging: Session doesn't store, track, or log your messaging metadata
• IP address protection: Device IP addresses are never exposed to the person you're talking to or the servers holding your data
• Closed groups: Private, end-to-end encrypted group chats for up to 100 people
• Secure attachments: Share voice snippets, photos, and files with Session's secure encryption and privacy protections
• Free and open-source: Don’t take our word for it — check Session's code yourself
Session is free as in free speech, free as in free beer, and free of ads and trackers. Session is built and maintained by the Loki Foundation, Australia’s first privacy tech not-for-profit organisation. Take back your online privacy today — download Session.
Want to build from source, report a bug, or just take a look at our code? Check out Session on GitHub: https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios
• Sometimes messages wouldn't show up right away. This is now fixed.
• Fixed adding users by ONS name.
• Fixed an issue where usernames sometimes wouldn't appear.
• Fixed the share extension.
• New and improved open groups! The app now suggests open groups to you, and any of the new open groups you join will be faster and more reliable.
• Laid the foundation for closed groups improvements. We changed the way closed groups work a bit to make them more reliable. Improvements should take effect over the course of the next few weeks.
• Laid the foundation for faster and more reliable file transfer.
• The Service Node network now holds on to your messages a bit longer, to ensure you don't miss anything if you don't open the app for a few days.
• General performance improvements.
• Improved Russian translation (contribution by Dmitry)
• Slovak translation (contribution by Vlado)
• You can now help translate Session using the button in the in-app settings.
• Minor UI improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great messenger app. Please keep it simple!
I have been using Signal for as long as I can remember it being around - it started out as a simple & secure messaging app with a great UI/UX. Lately they’ve been adding “features” that are purely for aesthetics to lure people away from WhatsApp and the like. I like that Session doesn’t allow user created sticker packs, status updates on your profile, and other Facebook features that bring no security or privacy value. I beg of you to resist the urge to do this. If you can keep Session simple and 100% secure (focusing on that part of the app) and add a calling feature like Signal has, and a few other basic functions, I will remain solely a Session user as will my family & friends who rely on my recommendations as to what secure messenger we will be using. I feel that Signal lost its way when many WhatsApp users migrated over and requested WhatsApp/Facebook features that add no additional security, privacy, or encryption value.
Would be better with iPad supported
Love the app with complete encryption and trustworthy privacy. It’s the right IM app I have been looking for. But not optimized for iPad have brought a little inconvenience: the app currently could not take full advantage of iPad’s large canvas and multi-touch display. Users can link iPad as a new device, but as the app haven’t been optimized, the UX of using the app on iPads does need a lot of improvements. I understand that there are a lot of work to to, lot of features on the way, but I do hope that you can put iPad support in your schedule. Thank you very much for the great app!
Excellent messaging app
I have had this app since the day it was released and have been very pleased, and impressed, with its performance. I ran into some minor issues with push notifications being delayed on the earliest versions, but these were quickly remedied with new updates.
This isn’t the most feature-rich messenger out there and the Session IDs may not be for everyone, but if you’re looking for a well-performing app that subverts the big tech companies harvesting your data, you won’t find better. I fully expect that with time it will only get better.
I’ve been a believer in the Loki project since it got started and am really impressed with this product running on the network. As others have said, this is surely the future of secure communication.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rangeproof PTY LTD
- 58.3 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 Loki Foundation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.