Set Dances is a practice tool for Irish dancers. It provides the music for all the traditional and championship set dances approved by the Irish Dance Commission (An Coimisiun le Rinci Gaelacha) for use in Irish dance competitions. This app allows the music to be adjusted to a wide range of speeds.
The music tracks were made in sync with a computer metronome, and the indicated speeds have been checked for accuracy against a stopwatch and other calibrated timing sources.
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- All music is built into the app
- Includes the music for the 8 traditional set dances
- Contains the music for more than 35 championship set dances, including the recently added “Planxty Hugh O’Donnell”, "The Vanishing Lake", and "The Charlady"
- Championship hornpipe speeds from 75-85 and 100-120 bpm
- Championship jig speeds from 60-80 bpm
- Traditional hornpipe speeds from 110 - 160 bpm
- Traditional jig speeds from 80 - 100 bpm
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- Updated for iOS 10 and later
Ratings and Reviews
Please fix "shut off" bug
Works great, except for the fact that when the screen goes to save mode or you hit the power button to power down the screen it shuts off the music (does not continue playing like iTunes does). Becomes problematic when my dancer sets her phone to her piece, goes to dance and the screen goes into power save and the music's gone. Fix that issue, I would give it 6 stars.
The single best Irish Dance music tool available.
Before this app, you'd have to spend a bunch on a set dance anthology that still might not include the set dance at the speed you need.
With this app, you have access to every possible set dance at almost every possible speed. Now you can drill your dances over and over and tackle tough pieces at a slower speed and build up to full speed.
The recent update makes every set sound like it was played by actual musicians.
I only have a few minor issues with the app:
1.) With the recent update, once a song is done, the last 5 seconds of the song will play repeatedly until you stop it.
2.) I would like to see EVERY speed available for every set. Hornpipes don't include speeds 86-99 and treble jigs only range from speeds 60-80. Although not used in competition, a wider range of speeds would be useful for practicing tricky pieces that need to be slowed down first.
3.) The set "Is the Big Man Within?" got messed up with the update. The transition from the slip jig lead to treble jig set is too delayed. Also, only the treble jig speed is shown- it used to be that both the slip jig and treble jig speeds were shown. Finally, it would be nice to select the slip jig and treble jig speeds separately.
Overall, this is a fantastic app and should be an everyday tool for every Irish dancer!
Great app- just a few requests
Let me start off by saying that if apple allowed for half stars I'd give this app 4 1/2 stars. The list of songs is perfect and it does exactly what it says it will do. If you are looking for your music at a speed that isn't common or if you want to try your set out at different speeds this is the app for you.
My requests for future releases are
1. The app shuts down when your phone goes into sleep mode. My current setting is at 60 seconds which is not long enough to dance a set. I know I can increase that setting but I am concerned with the battery life.
2. I would love the ability to have a song on repeat.
3. It would also be nice to see how long the song is and how long you have remaining - I know this would have to change as you adjust the speeds but it would sure be handy if you are just trying to work on the set.
4. I would LOVE to have other dances on here - like slip jigs and reels... I would gladly purchase expansion packs!
Overall this is a great app and worth every penny. Where else can you get every single set dance at every speed?
The developer, Douglas Lowder, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Douglas Lowder
- 146 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2017 Douglas Lowder
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.