REQUIRES iPAD 3 OR NEWER! ALSO WORKS WITH iPHONE 6/6s and 6/6s Plus (However, the optimal experience is on an iPad! as the screen is larger.)
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH iPAD 1, iPAD 2 or iPAD MINI (without retina display)
Shadowgate is one of the most well-known and beloved point-and-click adventure titles in gaming history. As one of the original titles in the popular MacVenture series that went on to be celebrated on the NES, GBC, and Nintendo 64, Shadowgate quickly endeared players with its fantastic atmospheric soundtrack, perilous locations to progress through, countless puzzles to solve, and more ways to gruesomely die than gamers previously thought possible. Thrust into the role of "The Seed of Prophecy," players travel deep into the living castle, in hopes of defeating the evil that dwells within – the dreaded Warlock Lord.
Now, nearly 30 years after the original version haunted Mac and NES gamers, the original development team behind that timeless classic is back with a full re-imagining of the original Shadowgate. Much more than a port, the team at Zojoi has painstakingly redesigned the game from the ground up, adding in tons of new mind-bending puzzles, lots of new rooms with stunning hand-painted 2D graphical detail, and more objects to interact with and help you along your quest.
Decide how YOU want to play this new, re-imagined Shadowgate! Want the modern adventure experience? Use the wheel-based icon command system. Want the retro experience? Employ the Classic command system and turn on the retro graphics, soundtrack, text box, and room transitions. Want a more cinematic experience? Switch to Immersive mode by auto-hiding the UI and using customizable hotkeys to explore the castle. Or mix and match the options to satisfy your play style. In Shadowgate, there are plenty of new features and fun throwbacks to the original version to satisfy veteran adventurers and newcomers alike!
- Customized UI: Play the way you want! Use modern wheel-based icon commands or the classic on-screen commands.
- Difficulty Levels: Four different difficulty levels (from the novice to expert) that actually change the gameplay experience and puzzle structure.
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system, and intuitive UI to complete your quest.
- Dangerous Dungeons: Tons of beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new gameplay experiences.
- Mind-bending Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
- Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Toggle on pixelated graphics, listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chip tunes, move between rooms with NES transitions, and enjoy the text in retro format.
- Over 50 player achievements to unlock.
- Storytelling: Shadowgate features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
- Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with gameplay by composer Rich Douglas.
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
“If you are a fan of the genre, looking for something difficult to tackle, or wondering why you haven’t played Shadowgate in 30 years, absolutely pick this up.” - 8/10 GameZone
“Shadowgate will offer you a journey into darkness, and an adventure unlike anything you have experienced in a long time.” - 8/10 Adventuregamers.com
“This new Shadowgate is a superlative remake that should stand as a great example of how to take a cult classic and update it for both new and nostalgic audiences.” - 9/10 Leviathyn.com
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- For those with excellent eye-sight, the game now works for iPhone 6/6s and 6/6s Plus. However, the optimal experience is on an iPad 3 or newer (and iPad mini with Retina).
Ratings and Reviews
Find the clues and traverse a deadly, living castle in this point-and-click adventure game, fully reimagined for iPad. The creepy masterpiece sports beautifully updated visuals, all-new puzzles, and a fantastic, cinematic score. It’s a difficult and immensely rewarding game that’ll delight vets and enthrall new players.
No Screen Mirroring Support
Love the game brings back a ton of memories. Especially that music! As a kid the whole family would sit around the NES and play together. (with one person person controlling the game and everyone making suggestion and voting on next steps.) We tried to recreate this at a recent family dinner, but sadly the game crashes as soon as screen mirror is turned on.
As a fan of the original I love this!
Looks like I’m 5 years late to this party. Whilst sheltering in place I ran across an old NES let’s play video of Shadowgate - I thought to myself “Wouldn’t it be cool if someone did a complete remake of Shadowgate with updated graphics and BGM?” So after a quick search my mind was blown.
This is exactly what I was hoping for! I’m 1hr deep into this game and having a blast. Hats off to the team for creating the atmosphere Shadowgate always deserved.
If you’re new to Shadowgate and have tried games with similar mechanics (Myst, etc.) give this one a try. It’s the best $3 I’ve spent all month.
The developer, Zojoi, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Zojoi, Inc.
- 1.4 GB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2021 Zojoi, LLC.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.