As featured in The NY Times!
See what these users are saying about Shakespeare Pro:
“It’s really great!”
—Kenneth Branagh, actor and director
“‘The app’s the thing.’ Hamlet was almost right. Great to see Shakespeare Pro superplaying with Shakespeare’s plays.”
—David Crystal, Linguist and Author of Shakespeare's Words
“The Shakespeare Pro qpp is simply terrific and filled with loads of wonderful information!”
—Ken Ludwig, Tony and Olivier Award Winning Playwright
Shakespeare™ is a free app with the complete works of Shakespeare (41 plays, 154 sonnets and 6 poems, including apocrypha) and a searchable concordance to find the exact word or phrase you’re looking for (with “relaxed” searching to find words close to your search term).
Even though it’s free, the Shakespeare app is packed with these impressive features:
••• CUSTOMIZE YOUR READING EXPERIENCE by choosing from a variety of color combinations, change the font family and size, and jump around to different scenes.
••• QUALITY TEXTS are a top priority and our team spent years compiling and editing the best references available. In the updated editions, the text is even more clear and each individual character is uniquely identified—all 1,155 of them.
••• DETAILED SCENE BREAKDOWNS give you an overview of the scenes within each play, their locations, and the characters present in each.
••• SEARCH THE WORKS by just typing in a word or phrase.
••• MODERN TRANSLATIONS and lexicons to help you better understand Elizabethan English (available as extra add-ons).
••• BARDFIND™ is the easiest way to find a Shakespeare theatre or venue anywhere in the world.
If you’re looking for line numbers, the integrated Shakespeare’s Words glossary, a gallery of Shakespeare portraits, random quote generator, Shakespeare facts, check out Shakespeare Pro for these and other great features. If you’re a student, professor, actor, or just plain love the Bard, this must-have app ensures you have the complete works at your fingertips.
Like the new features? Having trouble and need support? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or at http://support.playshakespeare.com.
Works contained: All’s Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, The Comedy of Errors, Coriolanus, Cymbeline, Double Falsehood, Edward III, Hamlet, Henry IV (Parts 1 & 2), Henry V, Henry VI (Parts 1-3), Henry VIII, Julius Caesar, King John, King Lear, Love’s Labours Lost, Macbeth, Measure for Measure, Merchant of Venice, Merry Wives of Windsor, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Pericles, King Richard II, Richard III, Romeo and Juliet, Sir Thomas More, Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, Troilus and Cressida, Twelfth Night, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Two Noble Kinsmen, The Winter’s Tale, Sonnets, Venus & Adonis, Rape of Lucrece, A Lover’s Complaint, Passionate Pilgrim, Phoenix & Turtle, To the Queen
Another great update to the best Shakespeare app! This update includes:
• NEW! Now browse the home screen of plays in "icon mode" rather than list mode. Change this option in the settings to whatever your preference is
• NEW! Use the sonnet tag filter to filter and organize the sonnets by thematic tags
• NEW! MLA citation—just select some text and choose the MLA option to create a citation for you to copy.
• Improvements to dropcaps and other typography to make the works a little more readable
• General bug fixes and small usability improvements, improvements to dark mode
In addition, if you've upgraded to Shakespeare Pro, you'll get the following new features and improvements:
• NEW! "Loose" searching now enabled you to find what you're looking for even if you've misspelled a word.
• NEW! Added Romeo & Juliet, First Quarto
• NEW! Statistics added for each character for the most common words a character speaks in the whole play and number of times these words are spoke by other characters to provide insight into what they might be thinking or feeling
• NEW! Toggle character and scene statstics on the Scene Breakdowns and Dramatis Personae for easier skimming/reading
If you're using Shakespeare in an interesting way, please share your story with us by opening "Share my Story" in the menu. We'd love to hear from you!
Did you miss a recent update? Here are a few of the new things we added:
• NEW! Added King Richard II First Quarto.
• NEW! Every scene now has scene times to help you make sense of time, either based action in the plays or historical events. This is the first time any edition has tackled this complex subject.
• NEW! Search improvement: now set a custom search proximity to find words nearer or farther from each other
• NEW! Search filters for Elizabeth, Jacobean, or apocrypha works
• NEW! New quartos added for King Lear, Hamlet, and King Richard 2—plus an improved compare tool on iPad
• NEW! Search additional lexicons: In addition to Schmidt's Lexicon, you can now search Onions' Glossary and Dyce's General Glossary
Ratings and Reviews
Huh... I've been told by devs that the free version (which I've had for about a decade) never had line numbers. I don't think that's accurate... but let's give them the benefit of the doubt... Because line numbers don't exactly make or break the app. So I'm emending my rating to 5 stars.
Would be really annoying to discover it did, at some point, have line numbers (which I seem to remember)... I will check some of my ancient iphone backups, and rate accordingly.
In the meantime... Please (re-)institute line numbers. It's a basic feature of the format, it's not a 'bonus' in any fair sense of the word. Thanks.
Developer Response ,
No, we have never taken away any feature in 10 years! Line numbers are only available in the Pro upgrade. So you might have lost your upgrade or there might be another bug. Don't hesitate to get in touch with support to help sort it out: email@example.com.
I can’t read anything :(
I’ve had this app for years now and use it as a reference all the time. As of late it’s been crashing. Every time I try to utilize it in some way, a few seconds pass and it boots me out. I love the app— I advertise it to anyone who loves Willy Shakes because of the quotes and it’s convenience, but now it’s practically useless. I don’t really know how to rate this, because the app itself deserves a 5 star, but the functionality is awful right now, so please fix or at least look into it!
Developer Response ,
Hello! Sorry to hear about this! Can you get in touch with our support to help resolve this ? Reach us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is perfect for my current project and has Been very helpful. Search function is key and though it needs a tweak as Othello seems to be off a bit, and the poems etc don't get excluded when you narrow a search, it is still remarkably useful. Now they need to add some more of the apocryphal texts--Arden of Faversham was recently included as in part by WS by Oxford I think, and there are several still under suspicion of him helping on. But this couldn't have come at a better time for me.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback. We can't duplicate the search issue you describe, but please email our support and we'll fix it right away!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 273.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2008-2021 PlayShakespeare.com All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Shakespeare Pro $9.99
- Schmidt's Lexicon $1.99
- Modern Translation (All Works) $19.99
- All Lexicons $4.99
- Modern Translation (Hamlet) $0.99
- Modern Translation (Macbeth) $0.99
- Schmidt's Lexicon $2.99
- Glossary by Alexander Dyce $1.99
- Glossary by C. T. Onions $1.99
- Modern Translation (JC) $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.