Instant shell identification using your phone’s camera. Full color shell guide. Learn from museum experts about shells.
The Shell Museum App can identify most common shells found on Southwest Florida beaches using your cell phone. Now you can learn about the shells you find while you’re at the beach, simply by snapping a picture! In addition, the App provides an extensive shell guide with many images and descriptions of these same shells.
The Shell Museum App, created by the Nation’s leading shell experts at the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum is a revolutionary shell identification tool to help you instantly identify more than 65 common shells found on Southwest Florida Beaches. And, the app allows you to learn more about each species from the in-depth guide.
From an initial set of over 35,000 shell images, the Shell Museum App uses deep learning and artificial intelligence to learn how to identify Southwest Florida shells. And, you can help it learn! Every photo you submit makes the Shell Museum App better by adding to its growing knowledge of shells.
Shell Museum App Features:
Identify Shells with Your Phone Camera
• Open the Shell Museum app, snap a photo, and find out the name of your shell in seconds
• Learn more details about the shell and see photos of the living animal that created it!
Browse a full color shell guide right on your phone
• See full color photos of most common Southwest Florida Shells
• Easily search for a particular shell with either a visual search or by typing part of the name
Follow the Daily Activities at the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum
• Get information on Beach Walks and daily Tank Talks
• Make reservations for upcoming activities
• Learn about special events and programs
This release contains a fix for missing shell photography
Ratings and Reviews
A work in progress
Not a bad app. I still think it is a work in progress though. There is not very many shells that can be identified. Like the AI can only identify a certain amount of shells. And how the shell guide only has a certain amount of shells. Another thing that bugged me was that in the description of the shells it did not say where you could find them, what there range was, or what their habitat was. I hope that this app is worked on more because I think it could be a very useful tool.
More shell types
It’s a great concept, I just wish there was more shells in the archives. A larger variety.
Crazy Cool App!!!
We have jars and jars of shells we have collected and identifying them is great fun. And to think that we may be teaching the App with the photos we are taking. I hope someone is monitoring the choices we are making. Crazy Cool App!
It doesn’t know what a sand dollar is. Suggest it allow for submittals of new species for consideration.
Excellent. Well done!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Shell Museum and Educational Foundation, Inc.
- 147.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Shell Museum and Educational Foundation, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.