Shoom is an expressive XY pad synthesizer. Or, more precisely, three identical synthesizers in one app. It is capable of playing any pitch in the audible range and doesn’t necessarily limit you to a particular scale. Nevertheless, if you do want to use scales, Shoom can deliver anything from common 12-tone equal tempered to xenharmonic and microtonal.
• Three independent synthesizers
• 8–20,000 Hz pitch range
• Slide freely or snap notes to scale with adjustable glide rate
• Set notes to infinite hold using a dedicated toggle
• Microtonal and non-octave repeating scales support
• MIDI note input (including MPE), CC control and clock sync
• Optional remapping of MIDI notes to the pitches of the selected scale
• Bluetooth MIDI support
• Inter-App Audio support with main mix and individual synth outputs
• Audiobus 3 support (including AB MIDI)
• Ableton Link support
• 120+ bundled presets
• Import and export of presets and CC maps
Synthesizer engine features:
• Adjustable polyphony, up to 30 voices
• Two oscillators with 4 waveforms and PWM, and one noise generator
• Oscillator FM cross-modulation
• 4 pole (24 dB/octave) resonant low pass filter with overdrive and pitch tracking
• 2 variable slope ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter cutoff
• 2 LFOs with 9 waveforms, up to 3 out of 12 simultaneously assignable parameters, trigger and global running modes, fade-in and phase controls
• Y-axis position / MIDI CC#74 as modulation source with up to 3 of 15 simultaneously assignable parameters
• MIDI channel pressure / polyphonic aftertouch as modulation source with up to 3 of 15 simultaneously assignable parameters
• MIDI velocity modulation of amplitude and filter envelopes
• Note pan randomizer
• Built-in stereo delay and reverb effects
Improved iOS 14 compatibility
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Giving this 5 stars because it sounds really, really good, and it's a good concept without much (supported, at least) competition in the App Store. It needs a few things to be perfect: a built in arpeggiator, and the ability to record movements on the xy pad would put this over the top. Also, the ability to respond to midi notes would be a plus, but as the whole point is as an xy pad synth, not totally necessary. Also, I thought the mod options were severely limited, as the layout doesn't make it immediately apparent, but if you click on the mod destinations for the lfos and y axis you can change the destination. A freely assignable mod envelope would be great too. And finally, I haven't checked yet, but if this doesn't already respond to midi bank and program changes, that would be amazing. All that said, I have a feeling at least some of these features will be implemented, so if you're looking for a really fun to play synth app for textures, drones, bleeps and glitches, definitely worth buying.
Wish I would have read "Long Words" review...
I really hate leaving a bad review. So I changed the (THREE STAR RATE) to 5 stars...not that I like that app, but I bought the app because I seen the 5 stars that ppl rated it. I read random reviews and thought wow... this app must be amazing. Not so much... I am not sure what the appeal is?
So I will say ... if you are a serious musician, don't buy this synth! If you like to put together great sounds from synths that reproduce real instrument sounds..again this is NOT that synth.
However if you like odd sounds that sound like stuff you could never imagine being called music ..then this is your cup of tea.
I guess if you like ...ummm.... Scapes? I think that is what they are called, then maybe you will like this?
If you like odd sounds then get it...
But if you haven't moved into dub step, industrial drones, and weird sound effects then I would maybe pass this one up...
As I said I hate giving a bad review and low stars (so I will give 5 stars because I'm sure ppl who like odd noises will like this) but it's not for me ☹️
One of the first iOS instruments I bought was Yuri's Xynthesizr; it didn't take long to figure out that he was a very creative and innovative programmer and musician. I have spent lots of very creative hours with that app, and still do.
Shoom is every bit as interesting, maybe more so. I can easily imagine lots of very late nights messing around with this thing, and I'm looking forward to diving into it. I just spent about 15 minutes playing around with his demo files, and I can't put it away... Thanks for another really great app!!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Yuri Turov
- 16.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2020 Yuri Turov
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.