The dictionary has an incredible one-third of the coverage of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary. It also includes all words in current English since 1700 to the present day, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, the Bible and other major works in English, written before 1700.
With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, rare and obsolete words, the Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains more than 600,000 words, phrases and definitions. The entries provide coverage of the language from the entire English-speaking world: from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the Caribbean. It has been fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings, based on ongoing research at Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Please clean up the UI
After looking up one word, the most likely action if one doesn’t exit the app, is to look up another word. To do that, the user clicks on the search icon (magnifying glass), which pulls up the search field with the previous word already entered, plus the keyboard is shown. If the user wishes to find a different word, they would naturally tap the little (x) to clear the search field instantly. While the search field does clear, but the keyboard goes away and the user is placed at the beginning of the dictionary. *How often do people want to scroll through the dictionary starting at the beginning?* Clicking the (x) should clear the search field and maintain display of the keyboard.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the comment. Please bear in mind that the redesign of the app was required due tot the updates of the iOS. We, as a developer, need to follow the trends in mobile progress and provide new features within the UI.
I love this app
It's wonderful having a dictionary this detailed and thorough at my fingertips. I work for a company that writes language arts curriculum, and between work used and looking things up on my own as I'm reading for pleasure, I often use it multiple times per day. It is one of my favorite apps.
I loved using the Complete 20-volume OED in college and grad school and being able to see how the usage and meaning of words has changed over the centuries, so it’s amazing to be able to now carry access to The Shorter OED - not quite as comprehensive, but still more thorough than most dictionaries and a wealth of information about English words - in my pocket!
For me, having a dictionary this reliable and comprehensive, with no ads, with substantial offline offerings, has been well worth the price.
Good dictionary! I think the price I paid is well worth it. I use it several days a week and am satisfied almost every time. I do use other dictionaries in conjunction, but with this version of OED I am able to go deeper and even longer (due to the numerous definitions and example sentences that lead to further research). It’s not merely a tool to pull out when I’m at a loss for words or when I’m stuck speechless, bewildered by a colleague’s infernal anachronism. It’s also a thing of joy; I get such pleasure from how it lubricates my tongue and pen and aids my lingual bursts. It’s multifariously stimulating: this dic keeps me perked up, intellectually of course, and I imagine its wiles will keep me coming for many years.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.