WHAT IS SHOT DESIGNER?
• CAMERA DIAGRAM - Shot Designer dramatically speeds up the Director's process of making camera diagrams. Create full-blown diagrams in seconds. The software does most of the work.
• ANIMATION - Animate your characters and cameras to move around your diagram in real-time. Previsualize the rhythm of a scene by seeing it play out.
• SHOT LIST - The integrated Shot List is tied into the diagram and writes itself while you work. Edit shots intuitively in the diagram, not in a confusing spreadsheet.
• DIRECTOR'S VIEWFINDER / STORYBOARDS - Bring in lens-accurate camera angles via the integrated Director's Viewfinder or Storyboard Import.
• MAC/PC DESKTOP VERSION - An identical Mac/PC Desktop Version is included with the Pro Version (in-app upgrade).
• SYNC & TEAM SHARING - Sync your scenes across all your devices. Share scene folders with teams. Control who owns which scene. (Pro Feature)
Watch the feature-demo at https://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/shot-designer-videos.html
CAMERA-BLOCKING ON STEROIDS
Shot Designer was developed by Per Holmes, the creator of the renowned Hollywood Camera Work training, and has been developed in conjunction with major TV and Film productions.
Shot Designer is based on the realization that neither Camera Diagrams, Shot Lists, or Storyboards by themselves give you a satisfying understanding of camera-blocking -- you have to use them *together*.
Shot Designer is FAST. The app knows how Directing works and automatically does most of the work for you. Cameras rearrange themselves when you move characters. Animate characters and cameras with simple Walk To and Track To commands. Create sophisticated tracking shots with multiple marks. Shot Designer is fast enough that you can rearrange the diagram with actors waiting.
• Integrated Set Designer for building floor plans.
• Integrated Lighting Designer for DPs, with lighting symbols provided by Ari Golan of Atomic Imaging Studios Chicago.
• Import production drawings as backgrounds and block on top of them.
• Factory Templates of pre-made camera setups for any situation.
• Make your own templates as starting points for new scenes.
• Large and growing prop/furniture library. Email us requests, we'll build them.
• Scene Freeze: Experiment easily by taking snapshots you can return to (Pro).
• PDF/JPG/Excel export and emailing of Camera Diagrams and Shot Lists (Pro).
• Unlimited Folder Structure for organizing scenes (Pro).
The Free Version of Shot Designer is full-featured except for Save, Export and Sync/Team. Your current scene is always saved, and you can be fully productive working on one scene at a time. The Pro Version (in-app upgrade) adds File Management, identical Mac/PC Desktop Version, Sync and Team Sharing, PDF/JPG/Excel Export and more.
Version 1.70 features include Production Info on printed pages, lasso/multiple selection, improved sync algorithm and much more. See change log in app.
Ratings and Reviews
Badly in need of an update
While there are many undeniably useful and clever features, this app is in desperate need of an update. For one or two scenes it works great, but when prepping a longer film there are a few things that would save huge amounts of time:
- assignable character names: writing every character in every scene is a huge time sink
- moveable background images
- Scene metadata for automatic camera labeling
- ability to import custom elements! This would be HUGE and fix the problem of missing lighting units, etc
The UI also feels ancient, which isn’t really an issue but a refresh would make using the app much more pleasant.
This app is an essential filmmaking tool. I’ve used it on everything from commercials and short films to TV drama and it’s fantastic. Stable, intuitive, easy to use, easy to read for Crew to understand what you’re trying to achieve. Currently shooting a high end tv drama and sending out my floor plans to all the crew weeks in advance so when we rock up to set everyone already knows what we’re doing - saving me so much time and energy to be creative. I create a Dropbox with pdfs of the plans and constantly update it so the crew always have the latest versions. Also the response from customer service etc is fantastic. Honestly, couldn’t work without it now.
App is old and outdated
This app had so much potential, but developer focused on other products and let it slide. There have been extremely small updates to it, but other than that, it's really very very basic and a complete loss of an opportunity to create and keep updated an app which was revolutionary.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hollywood Camera Work SRL Semplificata
- 86.1 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2022 Hollywood Camera Work LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Version Upgrade $19.99