SHUMP is a platformer about agile armed animals ascending against a barrage of bullets, bosses and bombs!
+ A Shoot 'em up blended with a platformer! (Shmuplatformer)
+ Hop and blast your way through 6 levels, 20 enemies and 14 bosses!
+ Play it safe and slurp up coins or rush ahead to unleash cascades of bullets!
+ 11 different characters and powers to mix up gameplay!
+ Play one or two handed!
The ads displayed in the game help me keep making games, but if you want them to go away, ads can be disabled for a small price. Thanks for your support!
(Game controls be changed under settings)
Ratings and Reviews
Nice Progression of Difficulty
This was a great little game, writing a review after (finally) grabbing a crown. I really liked the build up in difficulty, both from level to level (with logically spaced out shops), and boss to boss (and learning their patterns slowly over time with perma-death). Started figuring out power-up order strategies, and what to focus on when, and those strategies change from character to character so that’s /also/ exciting. There’s some kind of fast-progress trigger for the bigger bads too, and that was a good little responsive difficulty. Item costs are well balanced too (especially with the shield generally only available at the first shop with the discount character, otherwise gotta wait until shop no. 2). Only criticisms are: I didn’t really make active use of the shump itself, and took some careful observation to figure out how that counter worked. Might be because I’m on a tiny device, but never had enough of a look ahead to gamble on too continuous a jump. Also fat-fingered the items so often that I ended up never using them, or intentionally wasting them away as soon as I got them. Changing that button position/mechanic might be helpful. Lastly there’s a pausing glitch that happens every once in a while, which is usually fine unless it triggers as you’re going for the rightmost button, at which point you reset the level. Otherwise super nice, thanks for making it!
The first thing I thought when I saw this game was that it looked like a reverse Downwell. Downwell is a great game, SHUMP is also of a similar quality but more difficult. That’s not a bad thing, some of the gaps in the platforms can do some damage early on, but the learning curve is very reasonable. I haven’t paid to remove ads yet, but this is the way to do an ad-supported game. You’re not beaten over the head with them, hell, you can skip them very quickly. I hope the ads I watch add up to a decent amount, you deserve it!
worries re: remove ads
maybe i’m just bad, but after a few attempts i haven’t been able to get very far past the first boss. that’s cool tho, i’m fine with a challenge. it’s not really cool tho that i have to watch an (seemingly) unskippable 30 sec ad every two minutes of playing. i would totally remove ads if:
1) i knew how big the game really was, and whether or not it’s worth it for $5 (which btw strikes me as kind of a lot for 3 button controls, but w/e) or 2) if it was 1 or 2 dollars so i wouldn’t have to worry about the game not holding my attention for long enough to warrant the money. i may still end up buying the remove ads, but i lose motivation to play and find out how great your game really is when i’m not playin it for 20% of the time that i want to. [as a general ad sidenote, idk if the devs themselves can actually control the way ads appear in their games, but i really wish the ads were more communicative with how long they’re going to last and whether or not i can skip it. i’d like to know whether or not my phone is gonna basically be a capitalism brick for the next 30 seconds, and not have to find out by periodically tapping the top corners of the screen to try to find a literally invisible ‘close ad’ button]
Developer Response ,
Hey there! Really appreciate you taking the time to explain your concerns, I’ll try and answer all your questions!
1. “Is the game worth $5 to remove ads?” All my previous games so far were $2, this one has been put up to $5 because of the amount of content in the game. There’s 13 bosses and 6 different zones to fight through, and I plan to release an update post-launch that doubles the gameplay content.
2. “Do the devs control when ads are shown and how long they last?” I’m just one dev and yep, I do. Most are 30 second ads that are skippable after 5 seconds, and they only show up once it’s game over. From the ones I’ve seen whilst testing, they display a number in the top left corner for how long they have left and beneath that you have an arrow you can skip with. I would personally like to put my games up for premium, but it’s much more risky and folks like yourself wouldn’t be able to try it before considering paying for the game.
I hope this answers your questions! 👍
- Alexander Johansson
- 66 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Alexander Johansson
- In-App Purchases
- SHUMP Ad-Free $4.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.