Take command of a fleet of powerful starships in this adventure-driven strategy game from legendary designer Sid Meier. Travel to new worlds, completing missions to help save and protect the planets and their people from dangerous Space Pirates, to powerful Marauders and other hostile factions. Build a planetary federation as you strengthen your fleet and secure your homeworld as you attempt to preserve intergalactic peace and your vision of humanity. Set in the universe of Civilization: Beyond Earth after the age of the Seeding, Sid Meier’s Starships offers sci-fi/strategy fans a full stand-alone game experience that also features cross-connectivity with Beyond Earth, expanding the depth of both games. See if you have what it takes to rule the universe!
• Tactical Space Combat: Encounter unique tactical challenges in every mission, with dynamically generated maps, victory conditions, and foes.
• Fully Customizable Starships: Create an armada that fits your tactical plan with modular spaceship design.
• Diplomacy, Strategy, and Exploration: Expand the influence of your Federation and gain the trust of the citizens of new planets. Use the unique abilities of the each planet to enhance your fleet and Federation, and keep your opponents in check. Build improvements on worlds to increase the capabilities and resources of your Federation.
• A Galaxy Of Adventure: Explore the galaxy as you lead your fleet to distant worlds and complete missions to help the citizens of these planets. Fight pirates, protect colony ships, destroy rogue AI, and more.
• Multiple Paths To Victory: Will you win by conquering the greatest threat to the galaxy? Or will you unite a plurality of worlds in your Federation? Perhaps you will lead your people to push the frontiers of science. Each choice you make carries consequences on your path to victory.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
AI’s will play by player chosen constrained victory rules.
Players will now start with one ship on impossible difficulty.
Megabot strength has been increased.
Wonder Victory now requires 9 wonders.
AI will now attempt more missions per turn on Impossible difficulty .
AI will now use stealth more often.
The Negotiate button on the bridge view is now named “Negotiate”.
Fixed the damage meter in the Fleet Overview when ship need repair.
The How to Play screen now states that a population victory is but one way to win the game.
And other minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Worlds to discover, aliens to encounter—a giant cosmos awaits in this epic strategy game from the makers of the Civilization series. To expand your federation, you’ll guide a space fleet from system to system, letting you build alliances, collect resources, and research new technology. When you’re not immersed in those rich details, you’ll be facing enemy vessels in blistering turn-based battles. The whole struggle for galactic control feels exciting and rewarding but (thanks to a helpful hint system) never too overwhelming.
(works on old iPads) (not new)
I saw many recent reviews about this game not working, but few device/iOS details. Decided to try myself.
(iPad 9th gen)
I was on iOS 16.6.1. Game fails. The title screen is halfway off; can’t even start a game. Upgraded to iOS 17.2. Same.
(iPad Air) (gen 1)
Max iOS is 12.5.7. Game works! I played thru “Easy” and “Moderate” and had fun. Worth the $3 USD.
If the game doesn’t work for you, ask Apple for a refund!
There is a Mac version, but it’s separate and costs more ($10). Didn’t try it.
For the game, my main tip is to save! There is no undo. I had 3 saves I would rotate thru, and then the game was much more enjoyable to explore. There aren’t a lot of detailed online resources for this game, sadly. The in-game encyclopedia is helpful but lacks details.
For example, lasers are long-range and cannons are short. But how far exactly? Both are probably longer than you think, especially if you’re used to playing “Military Madness.” 😁
Sid Meier, thanks for all your hard work!
Recalls fun Avalon Hills board games
Straightforward hex game with a decent AI. Great having a game without IA purchases required. Limits on number of units keep it simple. UI can be unfriendly if you are colorblind. 3 different shades of red lines on a black star map leave you guessing sometimes about your enemy. This is not a come back in 10 minutes for more gems kind of game. Plenty of save points so you can die but there is always a load game.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- 2K, INC.
- 568.8 MB
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2015 Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.