"If you're into chiptunes, this app is a no-brainer" - iOSMars
"Drop everything and download: SidTracker64" - Stuff magazine
SidTracker64 is the ultimate chiptune production package tool for the iPad. It emulates the SID sound chip from the dominating home computer of the 80s - The Commodore 64.
Get started immediately with the bundled songs and sounds in various styles, from old skool bleeps n blips to new school with multi speed and advanced table editing. Explore, remix and make new songs based on the old classic c64 game tracks “Commando” by Rob Hubbard or “Blood Money” by Fredrik Segerfalk, and the brand new youtube remix hit of the “True Survivor” Kung Fury soundtrack, all included in the app.
SidTracker64 is a retro-style music creation tool and synthesizer combined with modern features such as midi keyboard and controller input, Audiobus 2 and Inter App Audio for recording in your favourite DAW-app. Midi clock in lets you sync to other apps and hardware drum machines and synthesizers, such as the Elektron Analog Four.
SidTracker 64 can be used for live looping, making complete songs, and the minimum latency makes it suitable for live use. Export your music to Dropbox and e-mail as audio or .sid and even .prg files which you can run on a real Commodore 64.
Editing is based on hands on touch interaction or midi input instead of the hardcore style of direct data editing. Record live to a metronome or input notes step-style. Real SID-composing has never been simpler and more fun!
SID synthesizer engine specs:
· Fully emulated SID 8580 R5 chip.
· 3 separate voices
· 8 waveforms - tri, saw, pulse with pwm, noise, trisaw, tripulse, sawpulse, nowave
· Wavetable editing
· 3 volume envelopes
· Dedicated vibrato controls
· 1 multimode filter LP/BP/HP (12/6/12db) with sweep envelope
· Filter table editing. Change filter cutoff and modes up to 1/240
· Hard sync and Ringmod per voice
· PWM sweep envelop
· PWM table editing
· Hard restart
· Variable emulation speed from 25-240hz (standard 50)
· 32 instruments per song (copy/paste/rename)
· 3 voice patterns
· Mute voices on/off
· Change instrument per step
· FX pattern - change volume/filter/speed per step
· Loop pattern
· Song building
· Live or step recording
· Metronome / count in
· Follow mode
· Note effects (Glide/sustain/vibrato/filter & pulse reset/tie)
· Song mode with transpose
· Keyboard input 1-3 voices (mono, duo and polyphonic)
· CC-assignable synth parameteras
· Modulation wheel vibrato
· Pitch bend
· Midi Clock in
· Selectable input channel
· .s64 - native SidTracker 64 file
· .m4a - audio
· .sid - for use in sidplayer
· .prg - exports play data for a real Commodore 64
For more info:
- Set sid file start address from settings menu
- Better layout for all iPad screen sizes
- "Reset" effect in wavetable editor
- General improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Landscape view - Disregard
Disregard my previous review. I was using an iPad 12.9 inch and landscape view isn’t supported on it. Using a 9.7 iPad and I’m fine.
I am so close to loving this app
As someone with an iPad Pro, I would love to give SidTracker 5 stars. I love how much potential this app has. For a tracker, it is very fun to use—but I find holding the 12” iPad in portrait mode while working to be a pain. If it was possible to toggle between portrait and landscape mode, then this app would be perfect.
Aside from that however, I have no complaints. This app is just what I’ve been looking for to produce chiptune songs, and probably the most learner-friendly tracker I’ve come across so far. Definitely a keeper!
Works well, and does what it does.
I wonder if you can make other 8-bit music trackers, like the NES, Game Boy / Game Boy Color, etc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.