Signal is a messaging app with privacy at its core. It is free and easy to use, with strong end-to-end encryption that keeps your communication completely private.
• Send texts, voice messages, photos, videos, GIFs, and files for free. Signal uses your phone’s data connection, so you avoid SMS and MMS fees.
• Call your friends with crystal-clear encrypted voice and video calls. Group calls supported for up to 40 people.
• Stay connected with group chats up to 1,000 people. Control who can post and manage group members with admin permission settings.
• Share image, text, and video Stories that disappear after 24 hours. Privacy settings keep you in charge of exactly who can see each Story.
• Signal is built for your privacy. We know nothing about you or who you’re talking to. Our open source Signal Protocol means that we can’t read your messages or listen to your calls. Neither can anyone else. No back doors, no data collection, no compromises.
• Signal is independent and not for profit; a different kind of tech from a different kind of organization. As a 501c3 nonprofit we are supported by your donations, not by advertisers or investors.
• For support, questions, or more information please visit https://support.signal.org/
To check out our source code, visit https://github.com/signalapp
Follow us on Twitter @signalapp and Instagram @signal_app
• We updated the contact sharing interface, so now you can send your friend the info for your favorite interior decorator on a screen that has already been redecorated. You can still select which fields to share for maximum feng shui too.
Ratings and Reviews
Nightmare editing messages on my iPhone XR
I don’t know if this disfunction is related to the particular phone (iPhone XR) that I am using Signal on now or if it is the same on other phones, but the “cursor” control on Signal is a disaster now. It is a nightmare trying to move the cursor to where you want it, or to highlight a specific section of your message. I am completely unable to move the cursor more than a couple lines away from its current location at a time (and the text window doesn’t extend to more than 4 lines tall), so i have to scroll a couple lines away, click somewhere to move the cursor in the direction of where i want it to go, and repeat over and over again until it finally gets there. If i try to move it further than that, the window just jumps back to the area where it is currently located and moves it to some random location nearby.
Highlighting a portion of your message is impossible; it jumps from one end of the message to the other and will not allow you to scroll slowly to where you want to stop highlighting. It is so stupid ~ I recommend typing messages in another app and then pasting it into signal when you are done.
Also, FYI, if you want to copy text from a signal message, hold your finger on the message and then click on the little icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like two pieces of paper - nothing will ever appear that says “copy”.
Developer Response ,
This bug is resolved in the most recent version of the application.
BOOK DOOR TO SIGNAL APP EXPOSED
The service has now become pretty much useless. I no longer receive an audible or visual notice when people send me a message. Only once I click on the Signal icon do the alerts actually come in. Now I have to keep opening the app to check for messages. This is not the case with other messaging platforms. Yes, I allow full permissions for Signal.
Additionally, I came here to update, but I dare not as Signal now allows third party stickers/ads. This now opens up a backdoor for hackers. Soon, Signal will shut down all users that don’t update.
I use to boast how secure Signal was. Obviously the developers of Signal had long term plans to monetize their once highly secure communication service?
What do we expect for Free anyway? Obviously Signal’s original Mission Statement has changed. Third party advertising has now become a security concern.
I’m only here as a means to communicate with other hi level parties who feel safe using this app. That’s now going to change as word gets out that a backdoor for advertising has been installed in Signal’s app.
Though no communication service is bullet proof, adding an additional layer of script to monetize Signal, (in my opinion) opens up a serious security breach that will eventually be exploited by hackers.
Signal is not the only game in town. Once I get all of my contacts to migrate to a more secure app, I’ll be uninstalling Signal, as it doesn't alert me any more anyway.
They try hard to get access to contacts. Beware
My friends and I got this to be we hope to be more secure, and it may in fact be that. On the other hand they do everything they can to try to make you add them to have access to contacts. There’s no reason they need access to all of my contacts, they want that so they can gather the information and eventually sell it or use it for marketing. If that’s not the case They will read this comment and fix the problem. But I suspect this is them long-term way of selling contact information. So when my friends use @…. It pulls up names so you can select who you are writing to and inserts the name you select into the text without type out my name…. However on my end when I receive it it doesn’t show my name it shows my phone number…. Both my friends, one of them by accident because it ask you so often to connect to your contacts and the other on purpose added their contacts it works properly on their end but I’ve never allowed access to my contacts nor do I plan too. Now if I click my phone number in the text that they sent my name pops up, so the program does know what my name is because it’s in my profile, but a little pop-up suggested I add my contacts…. This is proof they’re trying really hard to get access to your contacts and in my opinion and they’re gonna use it for marketing and selling later. Just be aware this program is not a panacea
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 135.7 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Signal Foundation
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.