Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real-time with all of your friends at once, and share media and other files with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end-to-end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source and peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so that you can have private conversations with all of your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group information like the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Messages are delivered quickly and reliably.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Rapidly capture a series of short videos without seeing any "recording stopped" errors.
• Capture long videos without losing audio and accidentally turning them into silent films.
Ratings and Reviews
Why isn’t everybody using this app?
I’m a whistleblower in a federal corruption investigation who has been the victim of sustained, state level hacking attacks. One method of illegal surveillance used has been the prolific use of IMSI catchers (google it, if you don’t know). I’m talking 24 hour surveillance and wiretapping. I can’t express enough how crucial Signal has been in helping me have private conversations in this aggressive hacking environment. It has really stressed out my hackers. While they are still able to intercept my calls, they don’t know what I am saying or texting when using Signal and that has really helped level the playing field. The only challenge - and it’s a big one- is getting others to use the app and answer their frigging phones when Signal rings them. I solve this by sending a regular text telling people to check their Signal. But it really boggles my mind how comfortable people are about communicating out in the open in this day and age. Anyway, I owe a huge debt to Signal developers for providing this app for free.
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Latest update of app doesn’t show attachments
Love the app, and until this last version I would say that all it really needed was a way to assign any custom iPhone alert to an incoming message. The current version gives options, but doesn’t allow you to use any alerts on the phone. That, however, is a customization, so no big deal, but this last version broke the attachments. Now when I attach anything from the Signal side or to Signal through the phone side, it doesn’t immediately show up. Sometimes you can exit the chat itself and go back in, and sometimes if you shut down the app and reopen they will show, but most of the time I have to wait for a reply for it to show, so I never know if it was sent. I’ve also noticed that it sometimes puts my messages in the wrong order. For instance, I will see the reply above the original message. That, too, eventually fixes itself but it’s very annoying and has only started happening since the newest version was installed.
- RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- 121.6 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.