Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
* Adds reaction support for new emoji introduced in iOS 14.2
* Fixes a crash for users of older versions of iOS 11
* Fixes a crash on launch experienced by some users
This is the last version of Signal with support for iOS versions older than iOS 11.2. Please update your iOS version to continue using Signal.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Lots of features (Gify, stickers, reacts, self destructing messages), but it requires you to give out your phone number to everyone you talk to, does not allow specifying a different server, and beyond those privacy concerns, it has gone downhill lately in terms of usability and security as well.
It now it forces a PIN even if you don’t want one. Private keys are sent through the server to enable moving from one device to another. Signal used to store private keys in hardware and it was impossible to export them. This ensured that nobody could ever covertly get your key. They removed this security protection and do not even provide an option to use the more secure key storage. The Signal developers could have enabled a smooth device transfer and kept the keys in hardware by having the old key sign the new one so others will 1.) know that the new key is new 2.) know that it is legitimate, and 3.) be able to verify the move using another communication channel if they suspect something is amiss. The Signal developers decided against this.
Given the developers’ recent decisions, and their unwillingness to allow people to use their system without divulging their phone numbers, earns this app 3 stars. If they put more focus on privacy, security, and allowed connecting to private servers, it could easily be a 5-star app.
BOOK DOOR TO SIGNAL APP EXPOSED
The service has now become pretty much useless. I no longer receive an audible or visual notice when people send me a message. Only once I click on the Signal icon do the alerts actually come in. Now I have to keep opening the app to check for messages. This is not the case with other messaging platforms. Yes, I allow full permissions for Signal.
Additionally, I came here to update, but I dare not as Signal now allows third party stickers/ads. This now opens up a backdoor for hackers. Soon, Signal will shut down all users that don’t update.
I use to boast how secure Signal was. Obviously the developers of Signal had long term plans to monetize their once highly secure communication service?
What do we expect for Free anyway? Obviously Signal’s original Mission Statement has changed. Third party advertising has now become a security concern.
I’m only here as a means to communicate with other hi level parties who feel safe using this app. That’s now going to change as word gets out that a backdoor for advertising has been installed in Signal’s app.
Though no communication service is bullet proof, adding an additional layer of script to monetize Signal, (in my opinion) opens up a serious security breach that will eventually be exploited by hackers.
Signal is not the only game in town. Once I get all of my contacts to migrate to a more secure app, I’ll be uninstalling Signal, as it doesn't alert me any more anyway.
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 156.8 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.