Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Use the new blur feature in the image editor to give every face a hiding place, or draw a fuzzy trace over something you want to erase.
• Feeling Emojionally unavailable? Now you can react to messages with any Emoji. Wave back when someone new says hello in your group chat, use a cricket if nobody laughs at a joke, or fire for a particularly hot take. The choice is yours.
• Channel your inner procrastinator and mark any thread as unread.
• We fixed a bug that prevented iPad users from viewing media while split-screen multitasking. Now you can keep your friend's picture of a sunset on one side of the screen and write a journal entry about how it makes you feel on the other.
• Image previews are no longer a little blurry (unless you scroll through the conversation really fast).
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Signal is the best privacy conversation app out there
I switched to Signal after getting hacked at Hangouts that a friend talked me into .
I’m so glad I did my research because that was a year ago and I have not been disappointed. Chatting on the phone is so clear, FaceTime is so clear even overseas, I like the quick voice messages you can leave. It’s easy to send 5 photos at a time to share.
For the person upset about not saving history, etc ... go back to messenger or hangouts. Different people want different things, and I for one prefer not to have anyone spying or breaking into my conversations. It’s irrelevant that what you are talking about isn’t top secret ... it’s personal and not anyone’s business except whom I’m talking to.
As for stickers ... geez, I’m not juvenile. I dint need silly stickers and gifs. Once again, go use another app that provides that stuff. Personally I love the simple cleanliness of the app. If you want to save a photo sent you or a piece if conversation containing something you wish to keep, screen shot it. Crop the picture for for photos and stick the info you saved to a file folder or notes.
I’d give it ten stars if I could. My only wish is that it only gets better and not worse, like so many apps do after they have been out there for so long. I hope the developers maintain their integrity and keep this app private 😊
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Thanks with a plea
I love signal, and I try to get everyone I know to use it. There’s a lot of friction for that, unfortunately, but such is life. Thanks to the developers for making a secure mode of communication.
I’m giving this four stars for two reasons:
1) signal calls are much less reliable than regular Wi-Fi calls from other apps. I’m not really sure why this is, but it seems like when I call others sometimes the phone just doesn’t ring. I’ve called my wife’s phone while it was in the same room to test this, but I’ve seen it happen with others numbers too (I.e. it’s not just her phone from what I can tell). Dead reliable calling would really help me recruit more friends to this app.
2) please please please make it so the app can go into wide mode when the phone is turned on its side. For those of us with large hands and normal size iPhones typing on the portrait width keyboard is somewhere between annoying and painful. One must crook one’s thumb at pretty sharp angles to hit all the keys especially those on the palm adjacent side of the keyboard. I have no idea why this app doesn’t have this feature when most apps seem to. Honestly if the App Store didn’t allow typing in this fashion I may not have written this review!
Thanks again devs for a safe channel of communication.
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 138.3 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.