Learn American Sign Language for free. Wherever. Whenever.
Whether you’re on the go or relaxing at home, SignSchool’s app lets you learn American Sign Language at your own pace.
In this app, you can:
- Browse the dictionary: Learn thousands of signs from a diverse group of signers and various dialects
- Choose a category: Explore hundreds of sign categories covering a variety of topics
- Reinforce your learning: Review categories with multiple choice games
- Learn at your own pace: Watch signs in more detail with the slow motion feature
- Play with SignBuilder: Strengthen your vocabulary with the randomized sign generator
- Improve your ASL with Sign of the Day: Learn a new sign everyday and sign up for daily reminders
- Stay tuned: More features are coming soon!
For a more comprehensive learning experience with interactive lessons and learning tools, check out our website— www.signschool.com.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Fixed landscape display issues for iPad
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great tool to use if you already know basic ASL and want to expand your vocabulary. However, there are some basic signs missing (example: “today”). I appreciate there being multiple signs for the same word shown, but it would be nice to have a description for each word such as what dialect/region/age group the sign comes from, signs not to confuse with (example: you don’t want to confuse “paper” with “clean” and vice versa).
But! This is a *free* app. And for that, it’s a very good free app. But if there can be an app with those (and more) improvements made, I’d be willing to pay for a “pro” version.
In the meantime, I’ll be suggesting this app to my ASL classmates. :)
It is actually pretty helpful!
This is the best app so far for ASL that you don’t have to pay for! This app is so under appreciated and it needs more attention! I love that this is free, because I don’t have a way to pay for in-app purchases so this is really cool and helpful! It is kind of sad that all of these apps aren’t free, because what if someone is too poor, but deaf to go to classes to learn how to communicate! That is why these apps should be free and practical! And I’m so thankful that this app is free and practical! The only thing that I would have to say is that I noticed that I would see a word on the word list repeat like several times and that can get annoying, but for it being free I don’t mind too much. One suggestion that I would give this app would be to add a favorite option where you can favorite your favorite words and phrases so you can get to them faster. And if you guys can fix your glitch where the words don’t repeat, that would make the app even more awesome! ❤️❤️
Needs more features
I’m teaching myself asl with a handful of apps. To compare to others, I like that this one includes a lot of phrases vs single words, and I love the word of the day feature. I wish I could save all of the signs I’ve reviewed on this app somewhere to go back and reference them again, and maybe a feature to test me on the signs I've previously reviewed. Over all it’s solid, but would recommend for people that have the basics down and want to add more casually to their repertoire.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- SIGNSCHOOL TECHNOLOGIES LLC
- 24.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 SignSchool Technologies LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.