SkySafari 6 Plus goes beyond most basic astronomy apps by providing you with a full-featured space simulator with telescope control and Augmented Reality (AR) mode.
Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari 6 Plus to SkySafari 6 Pro. Choose carefully!
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 13 and iPhone 11. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Plus will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog.
4) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations.
5) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
6) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
7) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
8) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
9) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Plus before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more!
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name.
• Support for Apple Watch!
• Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
• Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
• Much more!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 6 Pro!
Performance improvements for localized search.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Challenging but interesting
My daughter wanted a simple app to help her use the telescope she got for Christmas. This isn’t it; it’s much more complicated than we were expecting. I suppose it works, and if you’re a professional astronomer it would make sense. I’m not sure though, because we don’t understand the majority of the features. For peasants like us, the compass feature is all we need, and it wasn’t easy to find, as it’s on a scroll at the bottom. We needed “sky for dummies.” After about an hour into messing with this complicated app, we found Venus on the app and then saw it in the sky, and a little 8 year old was really excited about it. So there’s a win.
Developer Response ,
Hi Katie. We’re here to help. I assure you the app works well, it takes a few moments to learn the basic features. At first launch, the app is set to the current time and location of your device. This allows SkySafari to show you the sky from where you are. To have the app track the sky as you move your device, you can enable Compass mode from the toolbar that runs along the bottom of the screen. Hope this helps. We’re happy to issue a refund if you’re not happy. Just reach us at our website.
Wifi connection problems
This could be great APP except for some limitations.
The positive is, it has a great display of the sky with many helpful tools. One of the tools I like is being able to save my DSO viewed objects.
The however is that it is very difficult to acquire a clean link between the iPad and the Celestron Nexstar Evolution mount. With WiFi.
With having WiFi as the only available link it becomes useless in a populated area with 2 or
more fellow star gazers also using wifi.
If they could update the APP to allow a mini USB connection passing thru the Hand Controller.
There is another App that I stumbled across
That utilized this connection. It uses a mini USB cable that connects to the HC and passes
the commands onto the mount. There is also a path for EQ mounts where the connection is direct, bypassing the HC.
Even though the APP is free it does not come
up to the quality of the user interface and display SkySafari.
One thing I said earlier is the ability to save your viewing history and printing out a hard copy.
If this app incorporated a USB connection it
would have a 6 plus star rating.
Good app. Confusing reason for update.
This business model of making a new version as a new app, asking users to repurchase it, and removing the old version from the store is confusing.
I uninstalled my previous version to install the new version, after being prompted to download the new version from within the app. I realized after installing the new version that features had been removed, and that I needed to purchase this “plus” version to re-enable the features I lost. I couldn’t find the previous version in the App Store, so I just paid for this.
The developer has pointed out that the old version can still be downloaded from the App Store in the previously purchased section of my account. Thanks.
Developer Response ,
Sorry, but this is not true. You can always re-download older versions of the SkySafari from your Purchased list on the App Store. When new versions of SkySafari are released (every 2 years), we remove the old one from sale to avoid confusion.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 759.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Interactive H-R Diagram $1.99
- Galaxy View $2.99
- Apollo Lunar Missions $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.