SkySafari 7 Pro is now available. Please search for that app instead as this one is now an older version that will be removed from sale soon.
SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, Augmented Reality (AR) mode, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy app for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 13 and iPhone 11. We release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
4) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
5) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
6) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
7) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
8) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
9) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
10) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!
Fixes connection issues with some Celestron WiFi telescopes.
Fixes import of Observing Lists from SkySafari 5 using Files app > Share workflow.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is great except that every time I go to use it, if I haven’t used it for a week the app won’t open and I have to delete it and download again. I then must re-enter all my scope data. What a hassle huh? A real short coming for such a well thought out app. Still, it beats using the controller that came with my scope, especially in the field and, in cold weather. If not for that I would give 5 stars, maybe they’ll fix it.
Addendum, it appears I may be mistaken about having to reload my equipment data. I know I had to the first time I deleted the app but in subsequent deletes I discovered that my equipment data and observer lists were still there. They must store that elsewhere on the smart phone. That being the case I’m changing my rating to 5 stars despite the glitch.
To the developer, you requested specific information but provided a link to your support community without any way to reach you. It’s version 18.104.22.168 , when I touch the icon to open the app the opening page displays momentarily then quits and returns to my phones Home Screen. That’s all I can tell you. Am using iPhone 8 with automatic iOS updates.
Developer Response ,
Hi, please can reach us directly at https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/requests/new - we want to figure out what might be happening. Thank you!
I’m using this app to control a Celestron 8” EdgeHD on an AVX German Equatorial Mount. The Network interface is via Celestron’s SkyPortal WiFi adapter.
This app is a huge improvement over Celestron’s own hand controller. The alignment is process is faster, and the tracking accuracy has been excellent. The app has improved my entire astronomical experience with a wealth of data and having the ability to customize the “scope display” using the exact specifications of my gear. This is also great for simulating the FoV of various eyepieces and imaging equipment for possible future purchases, and for planning imaging session dates & times. The telescope controls are smooth and everything works great. I can certainly tell that some serious effort has been put into this app.
The only changes I could suggest would be to enlarge the telescope directional buttons. With a hand controller, you can feel the buttons physically, and it’s easier to direct the scope without having to come off the eyepiece to look at the hand controller. Having these controls on screen makes it a little more difficult to make small finely-tuned adjustments.
Excellent Product Features with Poor Support
I have very mixed emotions about SkySafari 6 Pro. It’s feature packed and a very capable iPhone/iPad planetarium program. The telescope control features work very well, and I’m able to interface to my Meade computerized telescopes through the Meade Stella wifi interface. But I had difficulty using the audio for the app, and discovered that the support for the product is very limited. When you try to call the company, there is no number to call for the iOS products. When you go to submit a service ticket online, you’re directed to the community bulletin board. So I submitted my problem online, and had no responses after 4 days. I posted a question (my second try on the forum) and have not gotten an answer after 7 days. If the company is going to direct people to the community bulletin board, they should certainly monitor the board and provide assistance when needed. I finally figured the audio problem out myself. My experience with SkySafari 6 Pro is that it’s a 5-star product with zero-star support. It’s a feature-packed program but you might be on your own if you have a problem. Further, you have to buy the program again each time there is a major update—running counter to other iOS apps. That might be ok if they supported the program, but doesn’t work for me if the company doesn’t provide support.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 2.2 GB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2021 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Apollo Lunar Missions $4.99
- PGC Extension Database $5.99
- Interactive H-R Diagram $2.99
- GAIA Extension Database $9.99