SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, Augmented Reality (AR) mode, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy app for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 13 and iPhone 11. We release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
4) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
5) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
6) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
7) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
8) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
9) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
10) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!
Fixes AR mode initialization.
Fixes problem adding multiple Equipment to Observations.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best You Can Buy
I received my doctorate in ‘86, and have catagorized this app as one that I can NOT imagine what I did without it. Granted that all information contained is open source and available, but not so in such a portable, credible AND provides highly accurate and VISUAL examples - with current (to the SECOND) data from the ESA, NASA, JPL, and TONS OF OTHERS. As stated previously, even time and distance figurations are provided and accurate.
What an app!
Now, having said all this, the practice of coming out (almost annually) with new versions without recognition of prior customer loyalty and purchases is OBNOXIOUS and ..., SILLY. I would beg the developer to revisit their release strategies, to include loyalty to prior customers purchasing the app (over and over again) to stay current. Thank you in advance for considering this. I’m sure it’s important to your doctoral customers, and well as students who are not as financially stable as others. I say this because I’ve seen students struggling to purchase this app. It’s just way too mercenary for me to recommend it - But I will give it FIVE STARS ***** because of its content.
Please forgive typos, IF any.
Useable, but with greater difficulty
This is an addendum to my previous review (revised) -
Upon further review I was able to use LiveSky to input all of my equipment. It is very different from SkySafari 5 Pro. So there is a learning curve that could be improved with a detailed user manual for SkySafari 6 Pro. While the new app is useable, I believe it is more cumbersome than Using SkySafari 5 Pro. However I am changing my star rating to 3 stars since everything seems to be working, although I find it more difficult to use than SkySafari 5 Pro. I will give it 5 stars after it becomes as easy to use as SkySafari 5 Pro.
Original Review - Unable to get my settings/equipment from SkySafari 5 pro. Tried the method given to a previous reviewer and after selecting share from SkySafari 5, there was no SkySafari 6 in the list to share to. Then I tried to add my equipment manually like with Safari 5 pro and could not find an option in the settings to do so. I thought maybe it was a bad install or something but it was the same on both my iPad 2017, and my iPhone 6. I joined LiveSky thinking I might be able to accomplish some of the above tasks and was able to input one of my telescopes. After that it it only listed that telescope as a recent telescope and no further option to add other equipment. I apologize if I have missed some important information on this, however, I am very disgruntled to think I just paid $20 to be a beta tester of this app.
Excellent Product Features with Poor Support
I have very mixed emotions about SkySafari 6 Pro. It’s feature packed and a very capable iPhone/iPad planetarium program. The telescope control features work very well, and I’m able to interface to my Meade computerized telescopes through the Meade Stella wifi interface. But I had difficulty using the audio for the app, and discovered that the support for the product is very limited. When you try to call the company, there is no number to call for the iOS products. When you go to submit a service ticket online, you’re directed to the community bulletin board. So I submitted my problem online, and had no responses after 4 days. I posted a question (my second try on the forum) and have not gotten an answer after 7 days. If the company is going to direct people to the community bulletin board, they should certainly monitor the board and provide assistance when needed. I finally figured the audio problem out myself. My experience with SkySafari 6 Pro is that it’s a 5-star product with zero-star support. It’s a feature-packed program but you might be on your own if you have a problem. Further, you have to buy the program again each time there is a major update—running counter to other iOS apps. That might be ok if they supported the program, but doesn’t work for me if the company doesn’t provide support.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 2 GB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Apollo Lunar Missions $1.99
- PGC Extension Database $2.99
- Interactive H-R Diagram $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.