SkySafari is a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket, puts the universe at your fingertips, and is incredibly easy to use!
Simply hold your device to the sky and quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Use Augmented Reality (AR) mode to blend a simulated sky chart with a real view of your surroundings.
Packed with interactive information and rich graphics, discover why SkySafari 6 is your perfect stargazing companion under the night sky.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 11 and iPhone X. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
4) Redesigned toolbar with ability to hide
5) Configurable font sizes
6) Better control of magnitude limits
7) Improved databases
8) Better updating of Comets and Asteroids (more recent data)
9) Better Moon display when zoomed out
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
• Much more!
Cosmos Collection: In-app purchase allows you to travel to other planets and stars, visualize the 3-D location of deepsky objects in our galaxy, and listen to hours of audio guided tours of the heavens. The Cosmos Collection includes:
Lift off from the Earth and travel to the planets, moons and stars.
Guided Audio Tours
Listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
Visualize the 3-D location of stars and deep sky objects in our Galaxy the Milky Way.
“Yoor-a- nus”, not “Your-anus”? The pronunciation guide in SkySafari will help you learn how to correctly pronounce the names of hundreds of celestial objects from different categories such as stars, constellations and planets.
For even more features, and telescope control check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing with a new in-app purchase that allows you to follow the Apollo 11 crew on their historic mission! Explore all Apollo Space Missions (from Apollo 8 to Apollo 17) and place yourself at the exact spot along the lunar trajectories of the Apollo spacecraft, during the most memorable and historic moments of these flights.
+ Travel along on the Apollo Space Missions, including Apollo 11 and the first lunar landing
+ Includes nine missions flown by the Apollo astronauts during the 1960's and 1970's
+ View the Earth and Moon as it appeared to the crew. Land on the Moon, then blast back into lunar orbit!
+ Links to key moments of the Apollo 11 Lunar Program
+ Moon inbound and outbound trajectories for Apollo 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17
+ Accurate 3-D models of the Apollo Spacecraft - including the Saturn V rocket, the Command Service Module and the Lunar Lander Module
+ Lunar Landing site Panorama for Apollo 11
+ The simulated trajectories have been made as accurate as possible, using actual data published by NASA.
Ratings and Reviews
Sky Safari is the GOAT
This app is so good that I keep my old sky atlas app around just for the sake of comparison. I use the two apps together as a tool to encourage others to upgrade. I tell them “Look here, I used to use this outdated app but now I cruise the skies with Sky Safari!” Once they see the difference, they are sold! If their Internet connection will bear it, they download this app on the spot.
The feature suite and extras in Sky Safari are extraordinary! The display pops with vivid details and well layered information. This app is surely the Greatest Of All Time in its class.
Too much unclear
Looks like a good app, and I was trying to decide whether to upgrade to Plus while the discount was available (or possibly even Pro)—but there are Help files that are unclear, graphic glitches with the Apollo addition, and the voice control (though I understand it’s in “progress”) doesn’t work even with the example commands listed.
It’s less than clear what new features are available in the upgrade version, other than the free Apollo add-in—which I already purchased. So I don’t have enough reason (at least not enough clear reason) to upgrade, especially when I’m having trouble with features already available.
I’ll definitely keep the app on my phone and use it. Perhaps it’s just me; but, regardless, if I’m already having trouble, there’s little point inviting more. All the basic features seem to work fine, and I’d still recommend the basic app for others—perhaps those who might have better luck (or even sufficient skill) to use it more effectively.
All you need besides a telescope
This App goes with me every time I take a telescope out (which is every clear night).
Whether in your own backyard or out on excursion companion, especially when installed on a mobile device with a larger display, as long as you have the built-in GPS of your device (and assuming you have some sort of signal) you can literally swing your tablet/device around and get a map of the sky.
Then you can program the GoTo of your telescope, slew to either Alt/Az coordinates or RA/Dec, or just swing a pair of binoculars.
The dynamic clock feature, and several features whether built in or the optional subscriptions are good for short and long term planning.
The Search with a representative image with "Locate" feature is a plus for determining if you can swing your telescope to a point before you decide to try.
I believe premium versions of this App integrate with the desktop version. Maybe it would also import and export lists and logs.
To make best use of this App, learn about the limits of your telescope and your night sky (light pollution) so that you can set magnitude (darkness) limits for stars and other objects in the Settings. Ok maybe you'll only have 10,000 objects that are visible, but it helps with screen clutter.
I also set the Milky Way, horizon and Constellation features and the display becomes aesthetically pleasing.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you so much for the updated review. I will forward your suggestions to our Dev team. Feel free to drop us aline anytime at https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/community/topics Thank you.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 380.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Orbit Mode $3.99
- Cosmos Collection $3.99
- Apollo Lunar Missions $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.