PRO: The paid version plays stronger chess than the free version and it has no limitations such as app-credits and limited features. The Pro version offers more and better.
****** Please report any crash or question you have to firstname.lastname@example.org ******
SmallChess is a high quality and brilliantly presented chess playing app for iOS. It's suitable for everyone: from beginners to the world champion. You'll improve your chess with a very strong chess engine (ELO 3000+). An ultimate chess master in your pocket!
Improve your chess with our innovative guess-the-move. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer! You'll also meet Jose Raul Capablanca, Judit Polgar, Garry Kasparov and more!
You can share your chess games with Twitter, Facebook and SMS!
SmallChess is your best compatriot and trainer.
- Play against the computer or yourself
- Play against ELO rating from 500 to 3000!
- Play online chess with FICS
- Tablebase database
- Opening database
- Save and load PGN games. You can also import games from Safari and emails.
- Support PGN variations and annotations
- A massive chess database, played by some of the best chess players in history
- Annotated chess games
- Nine coaching styles, it's totally amazing!
- Save your favourite chess positions to iPhoto or our in-app chess album!
- Share your favourite chess positions with SMS, Email, Twitter and Facebook!
- 10+ visual themes and 30+ sound effects
- Use guess-the-move training to improve your chess. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer against some of the strongest chess grandmasters.
- Analyse your games with our world-class chess engine
- Chess cartoons, trivia, puzzles, quizzes, and more!
- Chess puzzles: Think Like A Grandmaster and Maths Genius.
- Beauty of Chess.
- Interactive chess experience.
If you ever have a problem with the app or you have a suggestion, please write an email to us. Alternatively, follow us on Facebook or Twitter. You can find our contact details on our website. We answer all enquiries promptly.
*--- Please leave a review if you like this app ---*
Small is Power. You'll be surprised.
Fixed fantasy chess pieces
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Very useful chess app, one of only a couple that I turn to. The second mini analysis board is particularly awesome.
My reason for not giving 5 stars? When loading a PGN with multiple games, there doesn’t appear to be a simple way to load the next game in the series with a simple tap. In my case, when following along with a book and a PGN with say 300 games within the file, it becomes hugely inefficient having to push load and manually scrolling to find the next game. If the developers are reading this review, please add this functionality or tell me if I am missing a simple way to accomplish this.
Developer Response ,
I'm reading it. Do you mean like a search button?
Great! - Interface, Chess Engine, and Play Analysis
Interface - superior, wishing its cousin SmallFish had this interface. Easy to learn and play. Board/Piece appearance choices are wonderful too.
Chess Engine - definitely extraordinarily strong (but level modifiable if desired) only exceeded by the chess apps with the powerful Stockfish 11 chess engine.
Play Analysis - To help itself it has an extensive opening “book”of the best moves, its interface can show multiple suggested moves with their game value, it can show a SUPER graph of the games’ progress move by move.
My Wish List - it has an endgame table of best moves but relatively small compared to the Syzygy tables that can be purchased and used by its cousin, SmallFish. A significant analysis improvement not available to SmallChess. Importing PGN game files needs strengthening and its related database to organize stored games is FAR weaker than the “database champion” Chess Studio.
No under promotion
In an otherwise excellent program, I found one curious failure. It absolutely refuses to underpromote a pawn. It recognizes and accepts an underpromotion by its opponent and it shows an underpromotion in its own analysis if that is its best line of play.
But when it makes its actual move, it will only promote to a queen....even if promoting to queen leads to an immediate loss and promoting to knight leads to an immediate win, it will still promote to a queen. Its analysis will show the win with the knight but the actual move it makes will be the queen.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.