"The most important and valuable application for a long time" - ipadstory.ru
Smart BASIC is an extension of very popular BASIC programming language.
With "smart BASIC" you can make your own programs directly on the iOS device.
Smart BASIC programs can be published in App Store as a stand-alone applications using "smart BASIC" SDK for Xcode.
Smart BASIC programming language is very powerful. Some of its features are:
- advanced retina-friendly graphics functions
- animated sprites with touches, collisions and sprite sheets support
- buttons, text fields, sliders, switches
- support of additional TTF fonts
- all interface objects can be grouped in moveable pages
- clipboard support
- speech synthesizer (for iOS 7 and higher)
MUSIC and VIDEO:
- playback of MP3, AIFF, WAV, MIDI, MOV and MP4 files
- integrated MIDI synthesizer with musical notation, 16 tracks, 128 built-in instruments with support of additional SF2 and DLS soundfonts
- GPS and compass
- multitouch with up to 11 simultaneous touches
- files and directories functions
- possibility to run program from another program
- HTTP commands
- programmable browsers
- hosts and ports pinging
- skinnable interface and customizable code editor
- built-in documentation for all functions
- sample programs to get started
- friendly Support Forum to ask questions and to share programs
When registering at Support Forum anti-spambot password is: "iOS".
Updated according to Dropbox requirements.
Ratings and Reviews
It's the best of the iOS interpreters I've found so far. It certainly is feature rich. Only a few things keeps it from getting five stars. First, The skins it comes with are "cute" or unreadable. Second, there is no real support website. Clicking on App Support takes you to a forum...which would be Ok if it actually worked. I've been waiting for a confirmation email for days. The forum is how you access the SDK and manuals, make suggestions etc. Third, the only way to bring external files into the environment is Dropbox. It is not at all clear how to make that happen. The icons added when Dropbox is enabled are cryptic at best...and there is no manual except through the forum which I can't get to. Finally, there is access to sequential files which is good, but access to random access files would put icing on the cake. Still, I recommend this product. It has a ton of features for the paltry cost.
Developer Response ,
Just register on the Support forum to get answers to your questions. Re-check your mailbox for confirmation email or contact developer at email@example.com
My favorite app of all time!
Wow! I have done app searches from time to time looking for a Basic Programming App that I could use with my iPad and never found anything close to this. If you have ever done any programming in Basic, you are going to love this app too. Broad library of commands that allow writing everything from simple utility apps to fully functional games and production apps. If you have some prior Basic Programming experience, this app may well be the easiest way for you to get your $ idea for an app to a functional program. There are a few minor bugs, but I have always found easy work arounds. This is an amazing program worth way more than the current cost, not to mention, you simply will not find anything close to this for the IOS operating system that is as simple and is stand alone (does not need a Mac or compiler, etc). Thanks to the genius developer for this amazing program!
I used to play with Basic, via Creative Computing magazine, years ago. Things have certainly changed since then.
At this point, and I suspect that the problem belongs to the language syntax, but strings will return an error if one has smart punctuation selected (iPad Pro here) in keyboard settings. That is to say, the smart quotation marks will not work. I do not think that this is something that this app can correct?
It seems that one has two one of two options to get around this:
- Turn off the smart punctuation
- Press the quotation marks key until the other quotation marks options appear and select the standard straight marks option > " vice ”.
print "howdy". THIS WORKS
rem print “howdy” THIS WILL NOT WORK
Perhaps this is addressed in the forums for this app, but I offer this as a heads up for potential users. I chose to turn off the smart punctuation option.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.