Identify birds with your camera or your microphone! Just point to the bird and we'll ID it for you. Over 1000 bird species from the United States (USA) and Canada are available, with plenty more from around the world.
With Smart Bird ID, you’ll:
• Identify birds by sound (song ID) or image (video or photo ID)
• Add your observations to your journal, and sync them across your devices
• Share your identified birds with others, and learn more about birds in your area
• Listen to bird songs, and learn more with photos and videos
• Improve your identification skills with fun quizzes
Why you’ll love Smart Bird ID:
• Beautiful design and simple to use, wether you’re a beginner or an advanced birder
• Easy-to-maintain lists help you keep track of the birds in your backyard or in the field
• Huge international community, with birders sharing observations every day
• Works offline so you can ID birds everywhere
• Built & designed by a birder that’s sweating the details to make the perfect birding app
Upgrade to Smart Bird ID Pro to:
• Unlock every feature in the app with no ads
• Never lose an identified bird with cloud backup (includes photos, video and audio)
• Sync your observations across your devices
• Create memorable bird lists like life, year and yard lists
• Create a birding profile and share your observations with the community
• Unlock international birds
If you purchase a Smart Bird ID Pro annual membership, payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current subscription period.
Automatic renewals will cost the same price you were originally charged for the subscription.
Subscriptions may be managed by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
- You can now view birds spotted worldwide on the map!
- More improvements to bird ID, both photo ID and song ID
- Birds, birds, birds... more international birds!
Ratings and Reviews
I Think I May Be A Birder Now
I’ve never been interested in birds really. But sitting outside on my deck this summer I kept hearing a bird that had a unique call unlike most I hear in my back yard. I said to my family, “Wouldn’t it be cool if there was an app like Shazam but for bird songs to help identify the species?” Next thing you know I’m in the Apple store buying this app! The next time I heard that bird I quickly whipped out the app and used the search feature with sound recording. It positively identified it as a California Quail (a bird I am familiar with but not the song/call apparently). In the app I played the male California Quail call and this bird left his perch from my neighbors tree and flew aggressively right at me! I think he was planning to take me on until he got a little closer and realized I was a bit bigger than him! He perched in the other neighbor’s tree and resumed his song. I went inside and had my daughter come out to see if it was just a fluke or what. I played the male call again and sure enough he left his perch and flew to our roof top just over the deck where we were standing and peeked over at us to be sure we weren’t another male quail invading his territory. Then he flew off. Super cool experience! Super cool app!
Fabulous app for a novice or seasoned bird watcher! For years, my husband and I have been searching through books trying to identify birds. No more! I even used a picture of a bird that my husband took last year to identify it. Amazing, had it within 10 seconds. Then I took my phone onto the deck to identify what bird the beautiful song was coming from, and bingo, just a few seconds and I had it. We have a number of bird feeders, and all I need to do is aim my camera on my phone at a bird, and within seconds I know what kind of “customers” are calling. As an added bonus, the yearly subscription was 50% off! For $10, I no longer need to frantically page through bird books, trying to remember every detail of a bird, and arguing with my husband as to what it is! Great app, great price and great timesaver! I highly recommend it.
This app is fun to use as I am a longtime bird enthusiast. My primary issue is every time I try to identify a bird either through song or by camera, I must watch a 30 second advertisement first. Usually the bird is long gone by the time the ad finishes.
The accuracy of the bird identifier is about 50%. We had a bird singing all night, the app identified the song as a Mockingbird. Next day I saw the Mockingbird singing the same song. Today I saw and heard a crow clucking in a tree. I ran the song identifier and 30 seconds later it indicated the bird was either a Veery or a Marsh Wren, which is not even close. I attempted to use the camera ID but the bird was gone before the ad finished.
I also find it annoying every time I search for information I need to visit the store.
I use other bird identifier apps, as I am trying to determine which one I will spend money. This one is among the more accurate ones, but that is not saying much. I have no problem spending money on an app to rid the ads, but not if the app is not accurate. The search continues...
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Yellow Cardinal Inc.
- 242.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Yellow Cardinal Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- All-In-One $9.99
- Annual Membership $29.99
- Remove Ads $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.