In this version, the whole user interface is redesigned! I hope you like it!
If you like using the app, please rate it in the app store and if you have any suggestion please email email@example.com or message me on twitter @kovacsamate!
Have a wonderful day,
Ratings and Reviews
No crashes, but missing desired features
The free version only allows two book on a device, so I paid the $4.99 for “pro mode”. As such, I’m reviewing this app as a paid app; I’m generally more forgiving of flaws in free apps.
Here’s what’s good:
1) After 8 hours of use, the app has not crashed once. That may sound like weak praise, but I’m serious about being pleased by that. An app I’d previously used for audiobooks now crashes constantly and is virtually unusable. Kudos for a stable app!
2) While the web wifi import does generate confusing and apparently meaningless “error” messages, it does work. In particular, I really do like that a book broken up into multiple parts can be zipped into a single file and imported at one time. Be sure though, to name the files 01-20 not 1-20 or the sort will be out of order!
3) Books are separated into their own folders. Seems obvious as an important feature, but I found another audiobook app that doesn’t do that.
Here’s what disappoints me:
1) I can’t figure out how to put a book image on the folders. Since the included sample book displays an image it must be possible, but it’s very unintuitive and I gave up.
2) I like M4B format with chapters. Unfortunately, SmartBook does not recognize the chapter breaks and the book is all one long file.
3) I like making bookmarks to remind myself of things for a review, and to later return to spots to relisten. Not possible with SmartBook which is VERY disappointing.
Best App for Downloaded Audiobooks!
I commute daily to work and have several audiobook series downloaded. For a while I had been streaming them off my personal server, but it lacked the ability to remember my playback position and chewed through my cellular data plan. I downloaded and tired several other MP3-type players, none had the ability to easily add my audiobook mp3 files, or save my playback position. Until I found the SmartBook app! It has been exactly what I was looking for. Adding books was incredibly easy, especially when I was able to do it from the computer remotely to my iOS device. The settings and navigation are simple to use and work really well. If you’re an audiobook fan, and need an app to play your saved MP3 files, I would highly recommend this app! On a side note: The developer really cares about the continued enhancement of the app. I personally emailed him inquiring about integration with Apples new ‘shortcut’ app and he replied quickly and expressed interest in hearing my suggestions! Highly recommend and hope you enjoy the app as much as I have!
Great Free Reader App!
Update: The developer has added the feature that saves where you left off when you relaunch the app. Now the app has everything I need for the perfect audio-book application! Thanks for your responsiveness!
I use this app during my 45-minute commute and am enjoying all the free books and public domain classics. If I have one criticism (which is why 4 instead of 5 stars), it is that if you close the app and then later reopen it, it does not go immediately to where you left off. You must reselect the chapter that you were reading, but fortunately it keeps your place within the chapter. It would be nice if there was a setting to launch the book, chapter, and location within the chapter immediately so you can get back to where you were. Safer for commuters.
Other than that minor inconvenience, the app is terrific and I highly recommend it.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the review! I just wanted to let you know that the feature you requested here is available in the latest version, if you have other suggestions on how to make the app better, please let me know!
All the bests,
- Mate Kovacs
- 62.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Hungarian, Polish, Russian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Mate Kovacs
- In-App Purchases
- Pro mode $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.