Play the ancient game of Go against your iPhone or iPad. Starting with the empty board, your goal is to surround territory — the simple rules of Go lead to a complex and beautiful game. This 4000-year-old board game originating in China is also known as igo (囲碁), wéiqí (围棋), or baduk (바둑).
SmartGo Player includes a tutorial that teaches you the fundamentals of Go step-by-step. Each rule and tactic is followed by a number of problems that let you practice and fully grasp the concept.
If you enjoy strategy board games like chess or Othello, you'll love Go.
SmartGo automatically adjusts the handicap to keep the game challenging, for beginners as well as seasoned players. Start with 9x9, and unlock 11x11 and 13x13 as your play improves. With a strong engine based on the latest research into Monte Carlo techniques, this is the game to beat.
- 9x9, 11x11, 13x13, and 19x19 boards
- Strong game engine
- Fast response (adjustable)
- Automatic handicap adjustment on 9x9, 11x11, 13x13
- Manual choice of handicap and board size up to 19x19
- Track level per user
- Computer resigns when too far behind (can be turned off)
- Territory estimator
- Tutorial with over 100 problems
SmartGo Player is optimized for a quick and challenging game of Go against the computer. SmartGo Kifu is designed as a versatile tool for Go players who want to study professional games, practice Go problems, record their games, as well as play against the computer.
Various bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good app with two major problems
This is a good Go app, but suffers from two major problems in "autohandicap" mode.
1) The AI gets smarter at the same time as you lose handicap. This leads to level transitions where you will win 90% of games on one level and lose 90% of games on the next level. Thanks to point (2), you can be stuck in this boring, frustrating loop for a very long time.
2) The automatic downleveling mechanic makes it very difficult to adapt to the new difficulty. Once you go up a level it's very easy to lose three times. The fact that I then have to spend 10-15 minutes winning three easy games to get back to that challenge kills my motivation to keep playing.
My suggestions to the dev:
- Double the number of levels to make the difficulty curve smoother. When a player levels up, take away a handicap stone first, then make the AI smarter, and alternate from then on.
- Make automatic downleveling optional. Let me hit my ahead against the wall if I want to. If the concern is that someone could accidentally win 3 games and advance, increase the number of consecutive wins required to level up as a function of consecutive losses.
It's true that I could simulate these rules by using manual handicap instead of automatic, but I don't want to have to keep track of these things myself.
good time learning to play
i'm really slow to pick up on Go but i love the game and SmartGo has been of more help than any tutorial. i simply keep playing, making moves not necessarily to win but to see the results, sometimes self-explanatory e.g. i didn't see a capture coming, or other times i need to back up a move and turn on the graph territory overlay before and after i drop a piece & SmartGo responds. i sometimes wish there were "opponent difficulty" settings for the "AI" but that's probably silly since you can (auto or manual) handicap. i learn a lot playing with a 5 stone handicap (i need 6 to compete hehe) then using hints for a follow-along example of how to win with a handicap i can't sustain yet. i play every day and learn and lose and win and laugh and punch my mobile in the face etc.. wonderful app.
AI too difficult for beginners
The tutorial is good and the app functions well, but the AI is too difficult to play against when you are just getting started learning. It’s aggressive and doesn’t seem to make mistakes. I don’t expect to win every game when learning but if I don’t win in the first 10 moves where it early resigns, I won’t win. If it had a configurable difficultly I think this would be a great app.
The score calculation seems broken too. If you have it calculate twice in a row it will give you different scores.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Smart Go, Inc.
- 15.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2010 Smart Go, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.