This version of the Snap + Core First AAC app is for:
• Users who want to try the Snap + Core First app without speech for free. These users can unlock speech functionality through the in-app purchase at any time.
• Users who purchased a Tobii Dynavox device. Users in this group will have full app functionality (including speech) when the app is (re)installed on their Tobii Dynavox device.
Snap + Core First is the leading symbol-based AAC app for non-verbal individuals who have difficulties speaking, including those with autism, Down Syndrome, Rett Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, aphasia, and intellectual disabilities. This AAC app is designed to let users start communicating quickly and guide them from their first words to literacy. Snap + Core First provides the path for users to stay engaged as they learn and grow their language skills. It is also easy for parents, teachers, and speech therapists to learn how to use.
Snap + Core First includes the following languages: English (US), English (UK), English (US)/Spanish Bilingual, German, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Spanish (Latin American), Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazil), French, Spanish (Latin American)/English (US) Bilingual, French (Canadian)/English (US) Bilingual, Spanish (ES).
“This app has been a game changer for my classroom. My students are progressing faster academically, verbal language has increased, clarity has improved, and behaviors have drastically decreased!” – Kim L, Teacher
Research-based for success
Core First, which is based on research by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, helps the communicator continuously build vocabulary and skills and takes advantage of motor learning by introducing new vocabulary systematically and purposefully. It is built on three pillars for communication success: growth, engagement, and literacy. The success of the Snap + Core First platform stems from features that let a user naturally engage with others like:
• The cohesive use of the Core Word framework
• Popular pagesets or communication boards
• Quick Phrases
• Behavior Supports
• Word Lists
Designed for easy customization and consistency
Snap + Core First makes it easy to:
• Edit and change grid sizes (12 to choose from)
• Drag and drop with common functions
• Link pages
• Find words quickly thanks to a special Search tool
A wide variety of Acapela voices are also available as free downloads in the paid version of the app.
A comprehensive ecosystem of support
Snap + Core First is backed by an unparalleled and free ecosystem of resources and support that include:
• Pathways for Core First, a free companion app that offers a guided experience to successfully implement Core First.
• Core First Books and Lessons
• Boardmaker Student Center app (contains the Core First Learning instructional solution)
• Customer and technical support
• Knowledge base support articles
● Snap now has support for Spanish (Spain).
● New Active Content feature allows buttons to display dynamic information such as current date, time, battery level, and more.
● New actions: Toggle Chat Mode and Pause Access Method.
● Selection Feedback Sound is now available in all Access Methods. When enabled, a “click” sound will play when non-speaking buttons are selected.
● The Outline highlight style now has three thickness options: Thin, Medium, and Heavy.
● New scanning options:
– Zoom (all scan types) — enlarge the highlighted object.
– Delay Between Selections (all scan types) — a type of release time.
– Speak Full Audio Cue Before Advancing (Inverse Scan and 1 Switch Autoscan) — for those users who need to hear the entire audio cue instead of having the scan highlight advance at a consistent speed.
● New scanning Access Method types:
– 1 Switch Scan
– 1 Switch Dwell Scan
– Inverse Scan
● The Close buttons on Behavior Support popups and the Choose AccessIT Device dialog are now easier to select using Eye Gaze.
● Improved handling of the eye tracker when recording IR signals with the Surface Pro EM+.
● The New User Wizard has been updated.
● Keyboard buttons now allow multiple characters.
● Improved performance of the Select All button editing tool.
● Button Editing Tool icons have been updated for improved clarity.
● The button to show or hide the button editing tool labels has been restyled and moved to the bottom right corner of the Snap window.
● Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I have suggestions for improvement
It is cumbersome to model correct grammar due to the fact that a separate grammar button had to be pressed. Please follow Assistiveware and make it possible to long press a button to activate the grammar function. When this update is made this will be the best AAC app out there!
Great for classroom use
I use Snap + Core in a classroom based setting. I love the ease of programming and how quickly you can customize it to meet individualize students needs. Tobii Dynavox offers Pathways (another app) free to help set up lesson planning that may be applicable for students who are learning to use Snap + Core. I find that you can seamlessly integrate with Boardmaker Online which is helpful in the classroom as well as for students at home.
not in the least intuitive!
Surely a big co. like tobii dynavox can do better than what feels like a total bait and switch. Download and first step is to pick a voice when it asks you 'which do you like the sound of', only there is NO SOUND! Oh i have to pay for that, hmm ok. So we move on to the words. Oh whats that there are none in the layout i chose? I have to manually add them 1 at a time?!
Free or not - and it's really not - this isn't anything like your claim to be the easiest to use or most intuitive when compared to other aac choices. Very disappointing.
Developer Response ,
Hi estoban540, We're sorry that you have not had an enjoyable experience with Snap. While it does require an in-app purchase to activate speech, all other functionalities are active, including the Core First page set. It sounds like when you first installed Snap you may have accidentally chosen the “BLANK - start from scratch” setup option instead of the Core First option. This option will result in a blank page without any symbols. However, this can be easily fixed. We have a short video that will show you how to do this, you can watch it via this link: https://youtu.be/_T5d4U58l58
Step-by-step instructions are also as follows: To install the Core First page set with all the symbols go to the top right corner and select the “Settings button” (looks like a bolt with a pencil). Then at the bottom choose the new button that appears called “Page Set.” On the right, it will list “Page Set: Blank,” select this and then below choose “New Page Set.” Now you will see the option to choose “Core First,” select it and hit create. Now in your Page Set options, you will see “Blank” and “Core First.” Click on “Core First” and select it to make sure it shows a green check mark on the right (this means it is selected). Then you should see the Core First page set load, go up to the top right corner again and make sure to choose “DONE.” Now you will have the entire Core First Page Set installed.
- Tobii Dynavox LLC
- 1.6 GB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Tobii Dynavox
- In-App Purchases
- Speaking Upgrade $49.99
- METACOM Symbols $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.