SomaFM's official internet radio player (for OSX 10.6 and above) gives you access to over 20 channels of commercial-free, underground/alternative music, programmed by DJs who are passionate about their genres. We feature the best in electronica, ambient, indie pop, americana, world and more. Soma FM began streaming in 1999 and thrives thanks to the support of our listeners.
Our app allows you to:
- Sort channels by Popularity, Genre or just see your favorites
- See the name and artist of currently playing song and a history of songs played.
- Bookmark songs you like and purchase them later
- Get the latest news and happenings from SomaFM
- Listen in the background while you use other applications
- Listen to SomaFM without interrupting what you're doing in iTunes. For example, you can play an audiobook in iTunes while listening to music from the SomaFM player.
• If you have favorites, they are shown first
• Fixed issue if you switched networks, music would start playing
• Other bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Awesome Service With a Great App
As the others say - awesome service with a great app. The most poplular station - Grove Salad - is great for listening to while working. The beats keep you motivated, the music doesn’t distract you, and there is enough variety so you don’t get bored. It is free, but I set up a monhtly donation, becuase I don’t want this service to go away.
Good app, great music
It’s hard to say enough about the quality of music Soma plays. You can tell the DJs are passionate about what they do; each station obviously has a lot of thought and care put into the song selection. This aren’t some auto-pilot streams; these are well-crafted playlists (and you won’t find anything as fun as Secret Agent or Illinois Street Lounge anywhere else).
There’s one small problem with the app: it doesn’t respond to the play/pause media controls on the Mac keyboard. I’m hardwired to hit these buttons several times a day after years of listening to other music apps on my Mac, but each time I do, it launches iTunes, which I then immediately have to close out of. So it’s a bit of an annoying problem. I understand this may be intentional: the developers note that you can listen to the app in the background while also navigating an audiobook in iTunes, for example. But I’d really rather have the use of the play/pause button; maybe a setting under Controls in the menu bar to enable or disable this functionality would be the best solution.
But don’t let this small issue stop you from downloading this app and supporting the cool people at Soma!
*MUCH* better than the iOS Version
This version of the app has all needed controls and provides access to SomaFM. If you are a fan of SomaFM and the music service they provide, then you will almost certainly like this app. The iOS version needs to catch up to this version.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thanks for the kind words! Just wanted to make sure you are using our current iOS version from the App Store (there was a very old version of the app that's hasn't been updated since about 2011)
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- SomaFM.com, LLC
- 5.7 MB
- Requires macOS 10.9 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2012 SomaFM.com, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.