Your music collection like you've never seen it. SongOwl is specifically designed to make browsing your library fast, easy and feel great. The simple interface provides powerful flexibility: whether you are a power user or casual listener, with SongOwl you can experience your music exactly the way you want to.
• Choose from over 100 different display options for any view. Create reusable navigation paths based on your own choices. Root paths in collections (playlists, genres, artists, etc.). No other player comes close to this level of configurability.
• Mark any group of songs a favorite, and instantly access it from the dedicated Favorites tab. It's never been easier to get to the perfect song.
• Build the perfect queue with unique sorting and randomization tools.
• View track metadata and listen to tracks in preview mode, without disrupting your playback queue.
• See all of your Loved songs in one place.
• Easily love the currently playing song by double tapping artwork in the player, miniplayer and widget.
• Show/hide songs in the cloud or marked explicit.
• Collect and sort tracks within a playlist, and browse just like your library.
• Fresh and intuitive design, including artwork-themed player.
• Custom themes, shortcuts and URL scheme.
SongOwl requires Music.app be installed.
A long overdue update including a couple little tweaks:
• The "Year" sort option has been replaced with a smarter "Release Date" option. This will take full release dates into account (when available), and default to "year" when release dates aren't tagged.
• Some miscellaneous bug fixes, including one that apparently allowed the odd podcast to sneak in.
• I'm aware of the issues some users have reported regarding unusual behavior with the "repeat" playback setting. I believe the root of this issue is small changes to the functionality at the iOS level itself. I'm collecting info to determine what might have changed and how to address it. If you notice a repeatable pattern, please let me know!
Ratings and Reviews
My instant favorite music app
I started testing this app in beta several weeks ago, and it very quickly became my all-time favorite music player. Thanks to its customizable navigation tools, I can finally do a bunch of things I've always wanted: group a playlist by album, see all songs by an artist in one list, sort just my classical music by composer, and lots more. On top of that, the user interface is really solid and comfortable, and it's gorgeous to look at (the artwork color scheme matching in Now Playing is lovely and subtle).
Before SongOwl, I'd been happily using Cs Music, a fine app from the same developer, and it was a great improvement over the built in music app. But SongOwl pushes the envelope a lot further, and I could never go back. Take a little time to get used to the new navigation possibilities and you might just love it too.
Really clever app
If you spend about a half an hour getting a feel for what this app can do, you’ll be impressed. I guarantee it.
App delivers a very clever way to sort through your music library and your playlists to get you to the music you want to hear quickly. And the paths you take to get there are saved and can be custom-named.
I have a path that takes me from a genre to a list of artists to a list of their songs grouped by album.
Want to see when the last time was that you played a track by Bon Jovi? Group songs by artist, sort them alphabetically, find Bon Jovi, and sort their songs by last played date. Most recent will be at the top. Reverse the sort order and you’ll probably find a Bon Jovi track you forgot was in your library at the top of the list.
Using Sound Owl together with this dev’s outstanding Miximum app, a poor old Windows user like me may finally be able to ditch iTunes for PC to manage my Apple Music library.
Five stars, absolutely.
Not as amazing as it was hyped up to be.
As a long time CS music user, I was interested in Song Owl as the developed claimed it was, in a way, CS next gen. After a week of use, I couldn’t tell what the advantages of the app were. I listen to playlists, not albums and most of those are Smart to begin with, so sorting and browsing isn’t relevant to me, which is what this app seems to be designed for, sorting and browsing - actually listening being an afterthought. At least CS music allows you to change star ratings from the Now Playing view, a feature not present in Song Owl.
FYI, if you use Miximum, by the same developer, you will lose the ability to specify CS as your default player after changing it to Song Owl, even if you delete Song Owl.
Overall, I don’t know what Song Owl was / is supposed to do that his other apps weren’t doing. I’m disappointed that I paid money for it, as the developer’s other apps are functional and well written.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear it’s not a great match, but that’s partially why SongOwl is a separate app and didn’t become the new Cs direction.
FYI in Miximum you can use “csmusic://“ in the player url scheme option to continue launching Cs 👍
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mike Clay
- 4.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- 2020 © Michael Clay
- In-App Purchases
- Tip $4.99
- Tip $1.99
- Tip $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.