Songwriter's Companion allows you to capture all your song ideas (titles/hooks, lyrics, and audio) in one easy-to-use application and then develop those ideas into completed songs.
Songwriter's Companion includes a full featured text editor, Rhyme Finder for finding rhymes, an audio recording tool, a chord palette for dragging & dropping chords into your lyrics, and the ability to display chords above your lyric's text (ChordPro style). All your work is highly searchable and sortable. Even when you've got hundreds or thousands of songs in progress you'll find what you're looking for with Songwriter's Companion.
Featured in Apple's "Making Music" collection!
Get organized, get serious, get Songwriter's Companion.
-Added support for minor keys to the Chord palette's Key popup menu.
- Now supports adding chords to your lyrics. Drag & Drop chords from a chord pallet. Then click a view button to see those chords displayed above the lyric lines.
- You can now drag & drop lyric files into and out of the song list. This simplifies importing existing lyrics into Songwriter's Companion. You can import text, rtf, and doc files.
- Also added improvements to the ability to drag & drop audio into and out of Songwriter's Companion.
- Fixed a memory leak when using the search field.
- Added more info to the Help window.
- Can now use space bar to control play and pause in audio tab
- Export function now exports all data associated with a song... lyrics, audio, and notes.
- Added a super simple pitch-pipe style guitar tuner.
- New application and database icons
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
No cloud sync
This app is fantastic for writing lyrical ideas and making chord charts. I’ve tried a lot of other apps to try to write songs with and this one finally has everything that you need. Basic lyric writing word processecor with song writing features like rhyme dictionaries - versions - and the ability to add chord references.
The one thing that would make this app 5 stars is if you could synch it between computers - like from an iMac to a Macbook Pro and back and forth over the cloud.
Other than that it’s great.
Not great, but the best.
The app has a lot of shortcomings, but what it does it does well and I find it indispensible. Previously I had kept track of my songs in a Scrivener document, which is an okay solution if you already own Scrivener but it doesn’t easily allow for you to move quickly through the details of a song, and in this app we have the tools to sort our songs and an imperfect but worthwhile setup for importing voice memos from iTunes or whatever you use to jot down your ideas. My wish list is a mile long, but at the end of the day I have to say I couldn’t live without this program, and it causes me minimal frustration and no harm.
I’ll add that the rhyme dictionary is phenomenal, and I can’t imagine the complaints I’ve read stem from anything other than misunderstanding. The app is worth the asking price or better for this feature alone.
Wow. Actually perfect :)
I’ve never found a good songwriting app to store everything. I’ve been writing actively for 12 years and this is the first app I’ve found acceptable for managing my collection of songs. I always write my songs through improv with just audio files so I will have multiple audio files of takes for a song I’m writing. This app lets you create a song file and store each of those audio files into that one song file. Also, it seems like the app itself copies the audio files so that everything is maintained within the app itself, which is a plus.
Anyway, worth $8. Easily. This hasn’t been updated for over a year but it works perfectly with El Capitan.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.