The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever Classic Games Collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT Sonic The Hedgehog offers exclusive support for the Power A Moga, Nyko, XBOX, and all HID controllers.
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA CORPORATION or its affiliates.
Bug fixes and refinements
Ratings and Reviews
Super Sonic Gameplay and Game Problems
This is one of my favorite sonic games and my favorite SEGA series for your games, I love it all but can you make it easier to turn into Super sonic? It would Score 5 out of 5 stars ⭐️ for me, To Add to this mess, I mean COME ON, Can you at least make it internet free so I can turn of these Stupid ads! Also anyone who saw this turn on airplane mode to Get rid of ads, but It turns of internet and You need that to play... I mean seriously 😒 One ad after another, I mean after a ad, I press start, and then another and another, Turn of the ads man, I mean it’s Better on XBOX, Peaceful, No ads, Make it like that, I’m a supporter and helper, I’m a kid and I gave ideas To managers of Businesses!
If you want to make super sonic Transformation Easier, Then add a button! Then you need 50 rings like how it makes a giant ring and a button will Appear showing a emerald on it, Then When you press it Sonic jumps into the air and Turns into Super sonic! This transformation idea is almost the same as the LEGO dimensions game, Defeat Eggman on last part of level and battle chaos and Have the power to turn into super sonic, please take these ideas 💡 as a helper and add these, please it would make it so much More fun! One last thing, it’s not letting me play, I start is the app, and it shows the SEGA intro thing, but after The Christian whitehead thing, The Screen is just Stuck on the black screen, I can’t tell if I’ve been hacked or your game is broken.
Need new update. Can’t finish zone.
What’s good sega and sonic team. I love you sonic games I have them all sonic 1 2 and cd even got two copies of sonic mania for the switch and ps4 plus sonic 4 ep 1and two (y’all need ep 3 just saying) but look in scrap brain zone act 2 at the end it have a glitch in it (again) where when you get done with the zone and moving in it the cut seen right before act 3 begin the camera movies all the way up where you can’t see it and when get to eggman where he jumps on the switch to drop you in to act 3 of scrap brain zone you automatically die and have to start the act all over again. And also when you get out of the game and goes back in or restart that act you lose a life and that’s a lil uncool so can y’all plz update this app again plz. Coming from a big sonic fan since the early 90’s the game need to fix its bugs fast. And also side note can y’all plz come on out with a mobile port of sonic3k plz that game is way to cool to just let it past yea I and everyone else know by that now that MJ made the songs for sonic 3 and not in for knuckles part of the game. But at least let us download part or the whole thing to our phones and tablets plz thanks much love from one of your fans of the sonic’s series.
It’s Still Sonic 1
Christian Whiteheadand his team have provided the same classic Sonic game that kick-started SEGA’s mascot into the spotlight, and they have also made substancial improvements along the way. Widescreen gives you a much better view of what’s ahead and how to react, a stable framerate makes the controls buttery-smooth, and the inclusion of the spin dash makes certain sectiona a lot less of a hassle. The options to play as Tails and Knuckles are nice touches as well, allowing you to explore the levels in ways you never have before.
All that said, while the game is still the classic Sonic 1, that means it has many of the downsides of the original that no remake can fix. Save for Green Hill, the overall level design leaves7 something to be desired (Marble and Labrinth are especially boring), the bosses are beyond easy to beat, and the special stages give me headaches from two angles; one comes from the constant spinning of the stage, and the other comes from how downfight frustrating they are.
Overall, the downsides are mostly mostly mitigated by the touch-ups from mobile port, and it’s worth trying out if you haven’t played Sonic 1 before.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sega America
- 152.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 9.0 or later.
- Game Controller
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA CORPORATION or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.