Special Characters makes it easy for web developer to use HTML Entities. All reserved characters can be easily founded and copied into clipboard. You can choose to copy character entities as entity name, decimal, or hex number. To make your life even easier, the program automatically record recently used character and also let you save your favourite character into the favourite section for future use.
- Added menu to copy symbol to clipboard
- Added Mac Key Symbol section
Ratings and Reviews
Good but Needs Improvement
Even though v1.0.2 says it fixes the missing menu bar icon, it does not. I have deleated and re-downloaded twice with same result: no menu bar icon. Also, there is no place in preferences to confirm your hot key assignment. It just shows blank. No designation of what key modifiers are selected, etc. As for the unicode characters, see previous users review. It looks promising and I will increase my review when the menu bar icon shows up and there is clear display of whether you have a hot key assigned and what it is.
Great start, but dies
Way easier to use than digging up a code from BBEdit’s internal list, or trying to find the character codes you need on the Web. Only 2-3 down-sides (at least 1 temporary):
* It crashes on second launch, so I can’t use it except once per start-up. Since I only reboot about 1-2 times per month, that’s not much use unless I leave it running indefinitely, which I don’t want.
* Needs way better Unicode support. Take a hint from PopChar. Quite often it’s the more obscure characters we needs codes for, like IPA symbols, etc., even if we’re not using non-Latin scripts. I would add IPA first, then Latin script additional characters first, then any technical (math, map etc.) symbols, then Cyrillic extras, then CJK, then other scripts, by population. Maybe IPA is already in there, but I can’t tell since the app won’t start back up.
* Needs an option to not run it in the menu bar; sometimes I just one one character and don’t need it again for a week. Maybe that feature exists already; I can’t tell, since the app won’t start back up.
Bug details: In my case I fired the app up once, used it to get some character codes, dismissed its window, and it disappeared from the menu bar and will not come back. Command prompt "ps -ax | grep Special" shows it is still in memory: "
8129 ?? 0:05.53 /Applications/Special Characters.app/Contents/MacOS/Special Characters"
Killing that process and trying to re-open the app did not work, though it did launch another process. Neither the menu bar icon, nor the app’s window come back.
OS X 10.4.4, Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-core; enough RAM and HD space I could upload my consciousness. >;-)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.