Help children to become confident at spelling with a range of activities to teach spelling patterns, letter sounds, understanding vowels and much more. Turn screen time into a fun learning experience with Special Spelling, an app that is adaptable to all abilities and individual learning needs.
Practice spelling at home or at school with this invaluable app for visual learners. It allows you to create your own fully personalized spelling lists that can be tailored to the curriculum to help children achieve their educational milestones.
Areas of development
• Improve spelling and develop vocabulary
• Teach spelling patterns, vowels and letter sounds
• Encourage listening skills and sound production
• Improve speaking skills
• Increase sight-word reading
• Develop hand-eye coordination
• Improve fine motor skills
Personalize to Suit Abilities
• Add your own text, photos and audio to bring learning to life
• Replace words and re-record audio to use the app any language
• Create multiple spelling lists tailored to children’s learning needs and curriculum work
• Adjustable settings to suit abilities and concentration levels
• Option to use spoken letter names or letter sounds
• Choice of native spoken voices: female (US), male, female and child (UK)
• Optional text and/or image hints
Share Your Spelling Lists
• Copy content to and from the app on another device
• Exchange spelling lists using AirDrop, Wi-Fi, cloud storage or email
• Transfer content to and from our Special Words app to reinforce learning
Accessible for All
• Support for those with poor fine-motor skills - even if tap more than once or unable to precisely position objects
• Choice of fonts in upper or lowercase letters – particularly for those with visual impairment or dyslexia
• Perfect to use at home, school, in speech or occupational therapy sessions, and for home schooling
Reviews from Parents and Professionals
"My daughter is very new to spelling, having taken a whole word reading approach so far rather than phonics and having a significant visual impairment - we have noticed that she only looks at the first letters of words. Special Spelling is worth its weight in gold as we try to introduce her to the world of spelling and looking beyond the first letters."
Andrea, Parent and Speech & Language Therapist
“At first I thought it would be beyond my daughter as she only recognizes a few letters but her ability to match the letters after I'd customized the levels in the settings has made this one of her favourite apps to date.”
Why Our Apps Are Different
• Visually clear and simple, with no distracting backgrounds or noises
• Tested and recommended by Down syndrome and ASD experts and organizations around the world
• No in-app purchases, pop-up ads or user tracking
• Developed in collaboration with parents, speech and language therapist, and teachers of children with special educational needs as well as typically developing children
Part of the Special iApps Family
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise with a worldwide reputation for creating educational apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs, as well as in preschool education. They initially created apps to teach their youngest son William, who has Down syndrome and autism, now they support children internationally.
Discover more of our apps on the App Store or visit www.specialiapps.org
• Bug fixes
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.