Used in educational settings in 100+ countries to teach and assess speech, language and communication development. Proven to dramatically improve attainment levels, the activities in Special Words Pro ensure children are always actively learning and making progress with their education and personal development.
This app is fantastic for engaging children with technology while also using it alongside traditional teaching methods. It allows professionals to track progress and provide differentiated support for children of all abilities.
Areas of Development
• Proven to develop expressive and receptive language
• Teach and assess recognition of written and spoken words
• Enhance language and literacy skills
• Encourage listening and speaking skills
• Develop hand-eye coordination
• Improve fine motor skills
• Build and develop confidence
• 96 pictures, spoken and written words included in 27 languages
• Printable cards to use in paper-based activities
• Free access to curriculum-related content
• Dual control using external keyboards
• Extensive range of sharing options
• Easy to monitor progress with assessment sheets
• Create word profiles to follow the curriculum and enhance learning
Personalized to Suit Abilities
• Easily personalized to harness interests and avoid dislikes
• Use your own photos, text and audio to bring the learning experience to life and tailored to individual needs and abilities
• Adjustable animation speed to suit abilities and concentration levels
• Can be fully customized to grow with a child as they develop
Accessible For All
• Support for switch users
• Variety of fonts and a large text option to support those with visual impairments and dyslexia
• Perfect to use at home, school, in speech or occupational therapy sessions, and for home schooling to follow the curriculum and enhance learning
Reviews from Parents and Professionals
“We recommend this app for individuals who want a more dynamic way to teach early literacy skills. The app offers many ways to customize the program to accommodate the learner where they are and offers a pathway to expand their skill set”
Bridging Apps, 5 star review
“The app allowed us to see the hidden potential in some of our children that I feel we would not have been able to see otherwise. The app proved vital for any EAL children and encouraged speech and more initiated conversation.”
Jess Hindhaugh, Special Educational Needs Teacher
“Trials showed an average 316% improvement in the number of words recognised over a 12 week period and a 92% improvement in pupil confidence.”
The Durham iPad Project, Julie Brown, Advisory Inclusion Teacher for Assistive Technology
Speak Your Language
• Available in 27 languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, English (American, British and Australian), Finnish, Flemish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Luxembourgish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Welsh
• All languages use audio provided from native speakers
• Replace words and re-record audio in any language, a great way to support bilingual children or teach English as an additional language
Why Our Apps Are Different
• Visually clear and simple, with no distracting backgrounds or noises
• Tested and recommended by Down syndrome and ASD experts and organizations around the world
• No in-app purchases, pop-up ads or user tracking
• Developed in collaboration with parents, professionals and teachers of children with special educational needs
Part of the Special iApps Family
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise with a worldwide reputation for creating educational apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs, as well as in preschool education. They initially created apps to teach their youngest son William, who has Down syndrome and autism, now they support children internationally.
• New feature: Text to speech
• Compatible with iOS 13.4
• Bug fixes
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 64.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Luxembourgish, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Welsh
- Age Rating
- © 2018-2020 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.